eBay RaceFace cranks, misleading description?

You could try taking a little material off the axle?

I bought a RaceFace crankset of the splined variety that turned out to be duff, but I had left it too long before using it to do anything about it.

I think I can machine a solution, but haven't bothered as yet.

The pity is that he has stated the goods were not working, so you are going to have to rely on their good will.

How about a discount? Worth a try, no?

highlandsflyer,

The seller has said no refund, basically dared me to start a dispute because he thinks that the way he has worded the auction covers him.

He may have stated that the cranks were for parts or not working but he specifically stated that the important parts of cranks, the pedal threads and crank tapers, were "OK" and "fine". He cannot then say that because I have discovered one of the tapers is knackered that they were listed as parts or not working.

The taper isn't just spread a bit but the crank has been ridden with the bolt loose as there is a groove on each of the 4 faces of tapers where the corners of BB axle tapers have dug in. So machining a bit off back of crank might be a short-term solution but the taper faces in crank are not flat and in my opinion would just loosen off again.

OK. I understand, then it seems replacement is the only option, although being me I would try drilling and adding a wedge pin or something, but I am certified nuts.

It seems he pulled a fast one then. I wonder what the chances are of picking just the drive side up on Ebay or elsewhere.

Another example of the evil side of Ebay.

Indeed I think he has pulled a fast one.
I may have given him the benefit of doubt except that his response to me telling him crank was damaged, was that he pointed out his disclaimers in description and also to accuse me of damaging crank.
No apology at all that he hadn't noticed damage which would be a normal response from a seller but immediately giving me the answer that I should have expected them to be not right.

sneaky ebayer trying to make out parts are good when they are not.

how much did you pay for them n the end?

even if you get you money back, you will have to pay for return postage; and to avoid seller denying he/she received the crnaks, you best use recorded delivery ... whcih all puts up the cost.

keep us informed as to how it goes, then name and shame!!!

Just spoken to PayPal/eBay and escalated the case. The person I spoke to escalated it for me and told me they'd email me a pre-paid label to send the cranks back. This will have tracking number so seller cannot weasel out of it by saying he didn't receive them. I'll be refunded my money by PayPal when it's confirmed the parcel has reached him, whether into his hands or by a card to show that Parcelforce attempted to deliver them to him.
The seller and I had 10 days to resolve the problem but seller hasn't replied to me since I responded to him for 2nd time on the 20th.
He still maintains I must have damaged them while fitting them and, anyway, according to him, I bought them knowing they were for parts or not working. No admittance saying he shouldn't then have described the tapers as fine. Sent him photo of damage on 20th so he might have realised game was up.
So will post ASAP and let you guys know outcome. Still have nagging doubt that he'll weasel out of it somehow. He's getting negative feedback too, as soon as the money is out of my PayPal account and into bank. He has 100% +ve too. Silly boy.

Just realised I'll know his name and address too, so may name and shame him. Well at least his eBay ID. He deserves it.

old_coyote_pedaller":esru4huk said:
He's getting negative feedback too, as soon as the money is out of my PayPal account and into bank. He has 100% +ve too. Silly boy.

I recently had a dispute case settled by refund and didn't have the option to leave feedback once it was resolved.. which blew tbh, 'my' seller also deserved a good old fashioned neg'ing...

suburbanreuben":1z9p25qy said:
String him up!
;)

That reminded me of a scene from Life of Brian,

Nail 'em up I say! Nail some sense into 'em!

IDB1, maybe I could give him negative now before it's finally resolved, but don't want to eff up getting my money back.

Back