Zinn Z-Centaur – Photo update - Page 6

The little allen key bolt had been replaced with a different screw and had been forced into the hole. Both the bolt and piece of metal were rusted and seized together. Couldn't get one out without ruining the other.

If I can find the correct bolts a washer would work - good idea. If I have the time I will look into making a set, just thought there might be a standard part for those bits.

Not much going on just yet. The decals have been artworked and are with a printer at the moment. Once they are back I will get all the bits together to send over to Dave Yates for the repairs and respray.

My father in-law is going to make the metal piece for the cable roller and I've got to source a few more bolts. Apart from that and swapping a lovely
Centaur rear mech with donpedro, and getting some nos Campag Contax rims from the States not much.

Fingers crossed I'll get the decals back this coming week and then the frame can be sent off.

I always go to a local engineering bolt stockists an replace every bolt on my bikes with stainless ones. Looks a lot smarter and obviously they don't rust. Any non strength critical ones I order anodised aluminium ones from ProBolt on the internet. They do some bike specific ones now too.

The cable roller is actually a Sturmey Archer part. I remember speaking to Zinn about em at a trade show when he launched the bikes :) > they came fitted to a clamp and were originally designed for Sturmey archer 3 speed cables routed along the top tube....

Hilary Stone/Any old school (esp raleigh dealers) bike shop should have one kicking around in it's spares box.

Andy

Thanks for the info, that is very helpful. I will get in touch with Hilary and see if he has any lying around.

I will have time to do a quick update at the weekend... hopefully!

Just thought I would do a very quick update to get a picture up but I will do a fuller build report in the next week or so after I get a few more bits.

Got the frame back from Dave Yates yesterday and they have done a stunning job on the repairs and the respray. I am very pleased with the decals too so thanks to Gil for printing those. All parts are NOS so far and they include the Contax rims, Centaur hubs, Super Record Cassette, Record Headset, Centaur seat post, Centaur brakes, Centaur rear mech, Centaur bottom bracket and cranks and last but not least the Conti tyres. The only thing that isn't is the Flite but I have NOS turbo to try.

Anyway, enjoy and look out for more detailed write up with some close up images in a week or so.

Attachments

• Zinn1.JPG
    Zinn1.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 1,320
That is gorgeous. Really nice. I loved these BITD and they still float my boat now.
What colour is that? It would look nice on any bike of this style.
BOTM if not BOTY for me. Wonderful.

Back