What to replace? (paint job)

Coedy

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone.

Ive a Sun Stanga (seen here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153263)

And seeing as the next week or so in Wales is meant to be raining and rubbish I am considering stripping her down, sending her for paint, and rebuilding her ready for the (hopeful) sun.

what sort of bearings will I need and how much will they cost... :?

Ideally I would like to put new bearings in both wheels, and the crank (and headstock I am guessing?)

At the moment my rear cassette has some play in it (side to side, not loads but noticeable) I thought it would just be a bearing or something, will it need a new rear cassette? As its hardly worn at all (nothing I can notice).

As far as paint goes; I am considering getting the wheels sprayed over silver as well as they seem quite pitted. would this cause any problems? (Specifically for braking?)

And could I get the rubbish chrome (above my badge) plated/sprayed also?

I just dont want to tear it all apart and then find out I cant get bearings/etc anywhere and be stuck with a pile of bits... :roll: :LOL:

Thanks everyone.

Are you sure it's a cassette? I would have imagined it's a screw-on freewheel.

Personally I'd clean up all the hubs etc and then get replacement bearing balls from a bike shop or bearing supplier. However for the freewheel you can remove and give it a soak in oil overnight, but don't dismantle it.

If I remember right Sun were part of Raleigh and you might find some Raleigh funnies like non-standard threads etc. So don't go binning stuff until you have replacements. :?

Sorry. Am still trying to get to grips with terminology... :oops:

The Collection of sprockets can rock left and right slightly (looking at the wheel from behind).

Would something like this work as a replacement if the oil doesnt work? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165540

Are bearing sizes standardized for the hubs?

Ive also never looked at a crank before so am a bit apprehensive of that...

The first garage I tried today for a quote said they wouldnt paint bikes.. Will try a couple others the weekend.

Back