Airborne 2000 Lucky Strike DB Rebuild

guess what I just got!!...thanks in part to you guys :D ....got to figure out how to reduce pic size so I can post....the guy I got it from said it was early 90s.....but wasnt 98 first year?...It was used as a commuter....never saw the dirt

my girl

I love my new girl...exotic Amp F3 fork....wild Spinergy Spox rims....Paul brakes.....all caught my eye and got in my wallet.....Im not an expert but all the welds and finishes look great on this frame.amd not even a scratch in any of the stickers....always had slicks on her...never saw any dirt...

Well I got a little 'bike' time this weekend and I should have been taking pics of the Marin but how bad was the weather ? :shock: :-( but at least it resulted in the Airborne getting a little attention :cool:

Home designed / made King specific headset press (turning by boothy :D as I have lost access to a lathe :-() :

DSC06416.jpg

All in place with plenty park anti seize :

DSC06421.jpg

All seated nicely :

DSC06424.jpg

The 'Blingy' cables are going to look cool :cool: :

DSC06454.jpg

Some more of boothy's work :

DSC06440.jpg

Once I finish it off it will be nice seat post shim that won't have a gap in it to let the dirt down the seat tube :D

Couldn't resist one of these :

DSC06462.jpg

DSC06445.jpg

It will match the build perfectly, is very nicely made and very light :cool: a bit of carbon on it to :

DSC06413.jpg

WD :D

I´m getting nervous about this bike...want to see it finished soon ;)

PD: I myself am building up a very nice DBR Axis TT Team Titanium...modern components though.

marinito":1njqinub said:
I´m getting nervous about this bike...want to see it finished soon ;)

Don't hold your breath :LOL: just look how long the Marin took to complete ... :oops:

marinito":1njqinub said:
PD: I myself am building up a very nice DBR Axis TT Team Titanium...modern components though.

Nowt wrong with new stuff ;-) now I have just traded the seat for the USE the only true retro parts on this build are the seatpost (USE Ti), bars (Titec), stem (Titec or Clark Kent), bar ends (Titus) and grips (grab on mtn 1's or Porkipaws) but don't tell anyone ;-)

Well it's been a forking good day :LOL:

Crown race tool made from two pieces of plastic plumbing pipe :

DSC06463.jpg

I sleeved the end to help stop it splitting and chamfered it a bit internally :

DSC06466.jpg

So it fits the king race perfectly :

DSC06469.jpg

Worked a treat :cool:

DSC06484.jpg

I fitted the forks and measured the steerer. I chopped it down with a pipe cutter which did a really nice job with no crap to get in the seals :D I rounded the edges so as not to nip the bearing cover o ring and the head doctor (or similar) o ring :

DSC06476.jpg

I am having a 15mm spacer above and below the stem, the Ti top cap and bolt came polished but I have put a brushed finish on them to match the spacers :

DSC06500.jpg

And finally put the crud bung up the bottom of the steerer :

DSC06488.jpg

I couldn't face gouging the inside of the steerer with a SFN so I had been asking about compression plugs on another thread - that ended up with a new head doctor arriving thanks to hamster :

DSC06515.jpg

There seemed some confusion about what to grease so I have greased the thread on the bottom taper nut (1st from left), the recess in the top taper nut for the bolt head (3rd from left) and the bolt thread (4th from left).

I haven’t greased the outer diameter as that has to grip the steerer and I didn’t grease the internal tapers, this method worked perfectly with it clamping up well (and easily) :

DSC06567.jpg

I mounted the carbon fender :

DSC06523-1.jpg

with Ti bolts and added a few decals, including this little fella :

DSC06518-1.jpg

I have concluded that the forks came set at 80mm so now I have the shorter stem, I will strip and convert them to 100mm (and a set them up with a bit more sag). This is how they are currently - pressurised but with no load, confirming they are set at 80mm ? :

DSC06527-1.jpg

Sourced this (new) from the states :

DSC06555.jpg

DSC06560.jpg

It's just a little tight :oops: :LOL: but will be OK in a few more months ... :D

Very nice build and possibly the most ti fitted to a bike I've ever seen, but its your patience and attention to detail that really impresses me. Top work fella ;)

Back