1994 Bigfoot Smokestone

GT-Steve":3ha44fbl said:
that's awesome Luke. :cool: :cool:

Cheers Steve, praise indeed from a dedicated Alpinestars fan :cool:

p1010917q.jpg

When I saw this at FoD a few weeks back, I'd say it's as nice (if not nicer) than an estay Astar :shock:

Looking great Luke

Love Middleburn's :D

Will it be at Mayhem :?: should do well in the concours :D

Gruff":3on3t5l6 said:
Looking great Luke

Love Middleburn's :D

Will it be at Mayhem :?: should do well in the concours :D

Cheers Gruff, not going to MM unfortunately :cry:

Not sure its quite concours fodder either. The pics make it look more pristine than it is, dents, faded ano etc.

As and when I find them would still love some finishing little touches like matching red Ti Glide rear wheel, Red Use 31.6 post, some period correct xt pods (those yummy little piano black ones with no indicators), middleburn crank bolts . . . . .maybe then concours ready :LOL:

Its a great rider though, love it. :D

History

Love the bike, brings back fond memories.

My mate Mr Goodyear was well in with the Bigfoot family and owners.

What I know of the Bigfoot, I could be wrong.

Fabricated in Malvern

Anodised in Worcester lowesmoor trd ind in silver, red, blue (Been flattened to build a new Asad store). Saw them in the tanks being done at one time.

Shop in Gloucester

If my memory is correct the frames were aprox £500 to £700 including the rear shock modals.

Its nice to know a bit of mountain bike history comes from the area close to were I live and ride.

Great intro on the history cheers nutcase! Here is a scan of one of the early adverts and shop details, pretty much on the money for price there! Put it right up there with the big boys.

bigfoot157.jpg

A picture showing the creators of Bigfoot with Graham in the hat.

pbpic3474145.jpg

No info currently on the rest of the crew.

I reckon mine is a 1994 model, one of the last Bigfoots prior to change to Ozone (I have based this on the fact that it had 1994 xt 737 kit and Graham was certain mine was a 2nd generation Bigfoot).

Heres a few more pics I have collected over the past year with as close to a "timeline" as I can work out :LOL:

A 1st generation Bigfoot Smokestone racebike taken from MBUK Nov 1993, Note the square profile of the rear replaceable drop out. Check out TC's example being built now.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

0088f.jpg

A 2nd generation Bigfoot Smokestone. Note the rear replaceable drop out no longer straight. Welding of the seat stays and e-stays also slightly changed.

pbpic3474189.jpg

An Ozone cO2 from MTB Pro 1994. It declares the name change to Ozone at this point and the frame looks identical to 2nd gen Bigfoot EXCEPT attachments on bottom of downtube for Crud Catcher.

ozone.jpg

And finally a Smokestone like mrlee's.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=bigfoot

You can see the plate style replaceable drop out, the cable routing is slightly different and the welding at the e-stay and seat stay has changed again.

The article below indicates that Smokestone and Ozone ran simultaneously following the breakdown of Bigfoot in 1994/1995. Graham left the outfit and those remaining split into Ozone and Smokestone.

Thanks to Charlieboy the following scans. Taken from MTB Pro March 95. . . .

page00011i.jpg

page0001n.jpg

page00012e.jpg

page00013.jpg

Back