1990 Yeti C26

Nevermind, but it's interesting story behind. I guess it would be easier to weld 1 1/4 stem or even re-badge with Tioga decal than change entire frame design and factory standards.

Lovely bike and great story.
But why can't you ride it?
This is made by a professional frame builder, so it should be strong enough?

Jamis Diablo":2p5wkouk said:

You probably could ride it. The glue is much stronger than what was used 20 years ago. One of the major problems is that the carbon tube is simply a carbon wrapped aluminum sleeve thats mated to a steel lug. As the expansion of alloy and steel are different, over time with summer and winter temperature changes, the bond breaks as each metal expands at different rates. Or so I'm told.

Radoslaw":2alw7fl1 said:
Nevermind, but it's interesting story behind. I guess it would be easier to weld 1 1/4 stem or even re-badge with Tioga decal than change entire frame design and factory standards.

Didn't the older FROs also have a 1" headtube?

An interesting project maybe to build a lookey likey C26 out of a FRO with a round top tube a bit like that Tomac Raleigh that was done recently.

Out of interest did you measure how much weight was saved through the use of the composite tubes?

Jamis Diablo":2zcu74cy said:

Yes, I probably could ride it and whilst I've stated I'm too heavy for it, thats not my reason for hanging it on a wall. If I had a Ferrari California would I use it for the school run? No, I'd still drive something expendable that I wouldn't care if it got kerbed or bumped by other drivers.

Its a rare bike and even if not an original C26, I've alot of time and effort invested in it. It's art in the shape of a bicycle and I enjoy looking at it.

nevadasmith":2aupaf01 said:
Didn't the older FROs also have a 1" headtube?

An interesting project maybe to build a lookey likey C26 out of a FRO with a round top tube a bit like that Tomac Raleigh that was done recently.

Out of interest did you measure how much weight was saved through the use of the composite tubes?

Yes, the older FROs had a 1" headtube, round top tube and sumplex dropouts. If you know of one in 20"plus drop me a line ;)

I dont think wrapping a steel tube in carbon effect plastic is quite the same as using an Easton tubeset. I could and maybe should have asked Chris Herting to build it with a 1" headtube.

And sorry but no, I didn't weigh the two frames although the C26 is notably lighter. If I had a suitable scale I could weigh the bikes for comparison with my FRO.

JustKev":3qwbtyic said:
Yes, the older FROs had a 1" headtube, round top tube and sumplex dropouts. If you know of one in 20"plus drop me a line ;)

I dont think wrapping a steel tube in carbon effect plastic is quite the same as using an Easton tubeset. I could and maybe should have asked Chris Herting to build it with a 1" headtube.

And sorry but no, I didn't weigh the two frames although the C26 is notably lighter. If I had a suitable scale I could weigh the bikes for comparison with my FRO.

Kev - sorry wasn't meaning to suggest that is what you should have done - I think you bike/project is awesome and an example of what this site and the wider community can allow some one with determination to achieve.

I was just musing on ways of achieving a C26 replica without a easton tube set and someone clever to stick it all together and also suggesting where JT got his 1" head tube from - i.e. it wouldn't have been that hard for them to achieve as they would probably have had a few around!

Not seen a 20" round top tube 1" head tubed FRO but I'll let you know as soon as I do ;)

I realise it's vulgar to ask but would you be prepared to divulge the cost?

Also, to be ultra-critical, I can't help feeling that the overall look (which, let's face it, was one of the driving forces of the project) is let down slightly by some detailing:

1) An obviously used middle 'ring!
2) A lack of Yeti signature ferrules (that appear on the Tomac DH bike)
3) A non-refinished seatclamp.
4) The stem - no stem cap! And whilst I can handle a lack of internal brake cable routing - given the choice of forks - surely a stem with a flat cap to mimic Tomac's Tioga T-bone would be truer to the look?
5) Scuffed cranks (unless that's just a dodgy reflection!)
6) Seatpost on the cusp of acceptability...
7) No 'Motocross' TT decal (no biggie!)

I don't mean to be overly critical but given the obvious time, effort and money that've gone in to the project and the amazing aesthetics of the frame, the details need to be nigh on perfect. That is to say, the supporting role played by the components needs to be first-rate in so far as they should almost go unnoticed rather than stand out as second-rate. Unless I have missed the point! :p

My assessment is this:

Frame and Forks: A*
Wheels: A*
Components and finishing details: C

This could so easily be perfect! ;)

Back