Diamond Back Topanga 1990 Finished 22/6

It's amazing what a bit of care and elbow grease can do. Super clean and the paint looks really fresh. Well done.

Bargaintastic, would love to find something like this for my old man and the father in law.

Carl.

Well it's all done and ready to use for the rest of the Summer, although mostly for commuting duties.

The much awaited 300LX mech is on and shifting superbly, yeah I know it's crap but it's original spec and is only going to sit in the parts bin forever.

Brakes have been swapped for black STX jobbies (thanks to Mossy), the silver were fine but I think they sort of got lost against the frame patina.

New seatpost (Mossy again) and flite so the borrowed one can go back on my Ascent. Not sure whether the flite will stop, I know loads on here swear by them but so far it 'urts me bum.

Grips from the spares bin and I think that's it, finished.

Here's some photos that aren't from my back garden for once, I've made a bit of an effort and rode her down the cut (round here that's what we call the canal ;) ). I would have got some nicer pics by some local barges but there were too many yobs about and I couldn't have taken the heckling. Even the old p*sshead on the bridge with his 3 litre bottle of cider was looking at me a bit funny :? .

Attachments

• Topanga Done 4.JPG
    Topanga Done 4.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 691
  • Topanga Done 3.JPG
    Topanga Done 3.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 692
  • Topanga Done 2.JPG
    Topanga Done 2.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 692
  • Topanga Done 1.JPG
    Topanga Done 1.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 691
I know it's a bit of an old thread but I got so excited I created this account just to say how good it looks. I got mine for a fiver as well, same paint job, gel saddle, used twice to go to work or so the bloke claimed. I love mine it's my favourite bike, it weighs hardly anything compared to my others. I always wondered what year it was, now I know. Mine is a bit long for my liking though, 22"top tube, but at 6 foot 3 I didn't think I would ever be able to say that. I am used to my old Raleigh Marauder, is there a way of bringing the bars closer or would it need a new stem? If so, I will learn to live with it. However my cranks were ruined after a couple of months of hard riding, stock cranks, could anyone recommend any cranks for a poor, idiot teenager, emphasis on POOR?

Welcome to the site :D

Sold the bike in September last year to this fella http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=topanga after enjoying it for the Summer. It was a really nice bike and the paintwork was mint but with too many bikes in the garage I had to admit that this was a little on the large size for me and let it go.

At that height you should be able to cope with that length of top tube, I would have thought, but you could try bringing the saddle a little forward or as you say a shorter stem.

Plenty of chainsets that would bolt straight on available (on here and ebay), stick with non-compact Shimano and you'll have no trouble.

weeman_mtb":i94nocb6 said:
At that height you should be able to cope with that length of top tube, I would have thought, but you could try bringing the saddle a little forward or as you say a shorter stem.
Agreed - not sure of the geometry of all the Diamond backs of that era, but the models I had / have were all known to have fairly long top-tubes and a stretched out position. At 6' 3", though, shouldn't be a problem - unless you're used to very sit-up-and-beg bikes - even then, though, it's not that long given your height.

I have brought the seat forward and that seems to have fixed it for now, but I always want to do something to my bikes, it's an addiction. I own quite a few sit up and beg styles, most noticebly my old Raleighs, 1930 something 1958 and 1962, the '58 and '62 are the same bike but a few years apart which is interesting to have. Only recently have i got used to the seating position normal riders favour, leaning over tthe bars I'll get used to it.

It was a really nice bike and the paintwork was mint but with too many bikes in the garage I had to admit that this was a little on the large size for me and let it go.

I hate it when it is decided that there are too many bikes in the garage, my mum is the worst for it, many a bike has been hoofed out onto the street with a for sale sign on the bars. Now I only have 11 bikes to choose from. :(

Fladdem":31rjjfdv said:
I hate it when it is decided that there are too many bikes in the garage, my mum is the worst for it, many a bike has been hoofed out onto the street with a for sale sign on the bars. Now I only have 11 bikes to choose from. :(

My mom still moans at me for having too many bikes even though I moved out around 16 years ago :D .

Back