1990 Yeti C26

ppl! there could be several of reasons why he is not riding (in general?) That is nothing of our concern nor our business to judge.

I think the project it self is so inspiring for my own ongoing and future Yeti projects. And I am pretty sure the lust and the JT/Yeti inspiration was the driving force here - and that is sufficient enough for me.

yeti-man":x5nb2sqt said:
ppl! there could be several of reasons why he is not riding (in general?) That is nothing of our concern nor our business to judge.

I think the project it self is so inspiring for my own ongoing and future Yeti projects. And I am pretty sure the lust and the JT/Yeti inspiration was the driving force here - and that is sufficient enough for me.

Well some people are judging it to be a great job, I am merely voicing the opposite opinion. It would be pretty boring to only fawn over each others builds without any criticism.

Rob Atkin":10qrs2ht said:
Well some people are judging it to be a great job, I am merely voicing the opposite opinion. It would be pretty boring to only fawn over each others builds without any criticism.

So true! How does your Tequesta and Trek 850 ride? You dont see too many of those around...

Shit loads of people buy divers watches but don't go diving. Loads of people buy sports cars that can travel at 150mph in a country where the limit is 70. Loads of people own gun dogs yet they don't hunt. Almost everyone owns trainers yet very few are athletes.

People often buy things for the beauty of the object, not just the purpose it is supposed to serve. And this object is beautiful, the fact that it's a bicycle is secondary.

Well some people are judging it to be a great job, I am merely voicing the opposite opinion.

With respect, no you're not. You're questioning the motivation, not the result. You may consider it a waste not to ride it, but does that detract from the achievement of building it? Again, if I'd built it I don't think I could fail to ride it at least a bit, but I didn't, and I can appreciate it for what it is regardless of the use to which it will (or will not) be put by the person who did :)

Still waiting for someone to query the "1990" description ;)[/quote]

Rob Atkin":3mn7l81p said:
Completely pointless then IMO. If you're not going to ride it why bother??

And if it's too fragile to ride then all you've done is destroy a lovely original yeti to make a useless copy of another one.

Very sad reading this thread for me.

Yet elsewhere you've criticised a different Yeti build because he's made changes that mean he will ride it !
I think you should maybe avoid the Yeti threads, they all seem to make you sad and this is our hobby, it should make us cheerful :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just a question…
Are all the carbon tubes round section ?
Because on the FRO, the horizontal tube is usually ovoid, so, Chris Herting didn't only cut the frame for making lugs, but chang all the horizontal tube ?…

Rob Atkin":ahkg9049 said:

Thanks Rob. I agree wholeheartedly. There's way to much smoke blown up peoples arses on this site about their "great builds" which are in fact not. A bit of criticism and honest opinion doesn't hurt anyone IMO.

NakedGav, Yeti-man, Pete and Ameybrook represent a portion of the audience who do 'get it'. If it helps you understand my motivation, I've wanted this bike since 1991 when I saw in the metal at Cyclex at Olympia on the Evolution Imports stand. It went on to be featured in MBUK with Dave Hemming at the helm. Like many I'm also a huge fan of Tomac and been lucky enough to watch him race. The opportunity of recreating his bike was one I couldnt pass up. I dont think I wasted a FRO - theres 100's of them rusting away in garages worldwide and some getting disc tabs added ;)

MikeD":ahkg9049 said:
Still waiting for someone to query the "1990" description

I used a 1990 FRO, original tubeset and the original builder. I'm comfortable with it :D

24pouces":ahkg9049 said:
Are all the carbon tubes round section ?
Because on the FRO, the horizontal tube is usually ovoid, so, Chris Herting didn't only cut the frame for making lugs, but chang all the horizontal tube

Yes, all the tubes are round. It's not quite as simple as cutting off the front triangle. I think Ameybrook has a picture of the actual section used in his build thread but essentially new lugs are created to accommodate the C9 tubes including the seat junction. As the seat tube is larger diameter the original Yeti 'BMX' seatclamp also needs to be bored out.

I thought it's just me but looking at original bike stem and head tube were significantly slimmer.

Tomac used in DH races. These frames were the only C-26s with 1” headtubes, as his Tioga sponsorship required his use of their stems (which did not come in 1.25”)

So it's not exactly copy of JT's bike as for obvious reason it can't be.

Back