Egg Beater Pedals...

totti

Retrobike Rider
Just inherited a pair of Crank Bros Egg beater pedals.

Had been using spd's up until I tore my ACL playing footy last year, since my reconstruction op, also last year I had been using flats.
After lengthy rehab (12months) I stuck the spd's back on, but after a 10 mile round trip to work and back the knee cap on my repaired knee ached like hell.
Do the egg beaters have a better float, are they better for guys with knackered knees?

Interested in what are other peoples opinions of them to be honest...

Cheers in advance

Ive had doggy knees since i was a kid. Had a couple of ops to remove cartilidge and a motorbike crash when i was 15 meant another op. Since then ive had an mri scan and hospital visits due to knee pain. Thankfullly its running that really affects me and not cycling. However when i first got back into cycling i started using spds and got the exact same problem. I soon switched to egg beaters and the knees were fine, even on full day rides. They just seem to have lots more float and ive used them ever since.
I hope they do the same for you.

Could be your cleat position on your shoe, or you maybe need to adjust your saddle back/forth just to get your position better. Measure your cleat position as it is and then move it 5mm in one direction or another and see what it's like. Then adjust again if required.

I've found Egg Beaters excellent for my knee's.

Not sure about knees :roll:
But since changing from SPD's to beaters i haven't had pins and needles in my feet which was a serious problem before with SPD's

After riding Shimano SPDs and now Egg Beaters, I can say the Crank Bros do have more give and feel a lot looser in the knee area than Shimano.
Shimano are (even in the 520 pedal) are tight and do restrict the foot, which does affect the knee, even on the slackest setting where your foot falls out ot the holding clips, yet Egg beaters are slack............very slack but hold your foot untill you want to let go with a longer twist than shimano, but you get used to it after your first comedy fall........but riding, the egg beaters are as good if not better at holding your foot in........I have just switched and love them.........yes my knees are old and tired too ;)

Cheers, I find them pretty easy on the knee. Think I will stick with them...

Now it all kind of falls into place.. in the early to late 90's in my teens I did a stupid amount of training both on and off-road, not to mention all the local and national races I raced in... 95% of which spent in SPD's.

So, I think it no coincidence that when i tore my ACL playing football, the surgeon told me after the keyhole surgery that my knee hadn't been working properly for some time...
Years of repeated pedaling with a slightly wrong cleat position on knees that were still growing must have contributed to the trouble I have had.

So, pics of your egg beaters............mine are there.lol

5794149630_c6808678df_b.jpg

Back