Cheapest retro groupset?

Kinetic-UK

Retro Guru
Hi there everybody, I'm curious as to know what is the cheapest retro gruppo I can buy out there?

Any feed back appreciated.

Thanks.

You have a not so easy to answer question. Hypotheticly you can buy a bike (or find it at the tip) and pay less for it than what the frame alone is worth. In that case your 1st gen Super Record groupset could be had for free or even better.

Oh right, I see what you mean. I haven't been down the local tip yet, but it seems that people are selling retro road bikes like horse muck in Northants and I doubt I could find a road bike down there.

I was assuming Shimano 105, but I'm no expert on retro bikes as I've only just bought one. :)

105 or GoldenArrow won't go for a lot on for example eBay. I think it is the same for various generations 600, while they are actually quite competent groupsets. Dura-Ace will set you back more, but it is still cheaper than Campagnolo Nuovo Record, Super Record or c-Record. Suntour Superbe (Pro) is nice stuff, but not exactly cheap.

Than there are also components for makers like Galli, Ofmega, Gian Robert and many more. Much of it won't go for strong money.

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated. :D

I'll keep an eye out on ebay for a bargain to pop up, or see if a gold trader on here has any for sale.

What've you got on there at the moment Kinetic? It looks like a Huret rear derailleur if I quint hard enough... Your chainwheel and cranks look quite nice as they are. I'm squinting again, but it looks like you can change the chainrings (so for instance, if you wanted a smaller diameter ring with less teeth on it that's make it easier to pedal up hills, you could do that).

There's a Golden Arrow / 105 rear derailleur on ebay at the moment here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-RD-A105-G ... 500wt_1156 - is that the kind of thing you were thinking of?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks :) only thing is, I am skint at the moment, which is a shame.

The seller said it's a Shimano SIS rear derailleur which is all he knows as parts, but when I get the bike I'll get some close up shots of the bikes components and share them on here.

I wouldn't mid keeping the original crank but if I come across a good 105 or similar groupset for cheap, then I'll consider buying it.

He has this Orbit but he sold the 105 gruppo on it just the other week before I arranged to buy the Viking which is a bugger.:(

p4pb6121006.jpg

Kinetic-UK":xt7y17jd said:
Oh right, I see what you mean. I haven't been down the local tip yet, but it seems that people are selling retro road bikes like horse muck in Northants and I doubt I could find a road bike down there.

I was assuming Shimano 105, but I'm no expert on retro bikes as I've only just bought one. :)

Shimano RX100 is very similar in design to 105 and a little bit cheaper but works just as well. Their Exage 300EX range was a bit cheap and nasty, using steel and plastic where groups further up the ladder employed alloy; the 500EX range somewhat better.

David

Cheers Dave, I'll keep an eye out for those components too, it'd be my best option as I'm on a really tight budget at the moment.

I'm going to ride down to my local tip, every so often too and see if there are any donor bikes with good parts I can use. My friend who used to work down there found an early 90's GT Aggressor frame immaculate condition, so I know that people throw away good stuff, it's just as I mentioned before, a lot of people are selling their old retro bikes now and not throwing them away.

Back