Klein headset change?

Have been looking around the net this afternoon and I can see they do shims for 1 inch stems and similar so I'm really buying into this idea now. I can get the seat post shims locally so shouldn't have a problem after I get hold of the tool to get the MC2 off.

Mine loosened off really quickly and then stiffened up again. Just need to power through it. I didn't mention it because I thought maybe only mine does it!

Well the tool came today from Bike Components.....and it's the wrong one!

I was looking at this ebay auction beforehand - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

It states there are two keys on this so I made sure I told them what bike it was for and they got it wrong anyway.

It was too big so I padded it out with a old rag and managed to get the MC2 off anyway, just took twice as long. Now I just have to wait for the new stem, shim and handlebars to arrive which should hopefully be tomorrow.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I finally got this done over the weekend, can't believe it took me 10 days to get hold of a shim because Evans Cycles computer had a blonde week!

Anyway, here's some pics to supplement The Don's previous thread.

10-06-11_1954.jpg

This is what the Klein streerer looks like once the headset is off. You may notice the star nut I put inside for the top cap, no need to search the world for a replacement Klein cap.

10-06-11_2010.jpg

Here's new gear - FSA Wing Pro handlebars, Specialized Comp adjustable stem, a post moderne shim (27.2mm - 28.6mm) and some spacers.

10-06-11_2030.jpg

Here they are on the bike, the shim was only a few mm to long so I didn't bother cutting the extra off, just put a spacer above the stem. Note the stem is placed where the steerer ends and NOT where there is only shim at the top.

10-06-11_2032.jpg

10-06-11_2125.jpg

And the bike is finally complete. I think it looks slightly odd with white handlebars and a black stem but I'm not bothered for now.

I rode it for the first time yesterday and it all works fine so thanks again to The Don for suggesting this idea. I found that the shorter stem has made the steering more sensitive and a bit twitchy but I seemed to get used it after a while.

Nice work there.

Is the fit much nicer now?

Before I did mine I couldn't find any information on doing the change, and finding that seatpost shim that is nearly a perfect fit was lucky too. It seems to be a fairly standard shim size so should be easy for people to get.

How do you find the tightness of it? I found my 3T stem was having the sides of the clamps able to touch so I added the extra layer of coke can now it's super tight.

I hope more people try this out, it's nice to use 31.8mm compact shallow drops. So comfortable and stiff!

I found that there was less stress on my neck which was what I was looking for but my arms were aching a bit I think because I was having to grip the bars constantly to keep the bike in a straight line, but I also think that was just at the start of the ride before I got used to it.

The shim was pretty much a perfect fit, it slid onto the streerer very easily so could go one size up but putting the stem over it tightened it all up anyway. The Specialized stem uses an angled shim to get the adjustability (it comes with three different shims) so I now have a shim over a shim but it all seems fine.

Glad to hear it worked out for you, I was looking at that specialized stem also. I like their solution of allowing multiple angles with the angled shims. But in the end I knew I just wanted my stem to be 1cm shorter so went for the 3T.

I read a lot that people have been put off by the odd diameter steerer tube when looking at these older Kleins, and was determined to find a solution to shim it.

I also read a few hints that people had shimmer them on the net, and read that Klein used to sell a shim also! But there is no literature about it.

It's lucky the seat tube is nearly a perfect match.

Hopefully more people will see how easy it is and do it themselves.

It's just a matter of getting the Klein tool to get the old stem off.

I don't know how heavy the 3T is but when I took the MC2 off, I noticed that the Klein stem and aluminium handlebars together were lighter than the S Comp stem which reminds me what great bike the Klein is.

Back