It will be the only one in the world Merlin Di2- Finished

any123":3bga3z8b said:
markoc":3bga3z8b said:
What (if any) would be the weight advantage over running a standard set of XTR mechs and cables?

I suspect I've missed the point and this is all about precision, not weight saving...

Looks like a very interesting (if not wallet buggeringly expensive) project.

The bike now weighs 20lb which is not superlight but in answer to your question you don't save much weight but this system has to be made for xtr because it is so slick at gear changes. Take for instance the front mech ajusts itself when you move up or down the rear cassette and the gears never miss a beat. It will be a couple of years but this system will be used through out the shimano range. I can't praise it enough. But my god it is expensive.

Thanks andy

Cheers - nice to see functionality getting the nod over weight, and 20lbs is still featherweight in my book compared to my bikes ;)

Awesome. I have read so many good things about Di2

Look forward to some better close ups of the shifters :)

the battery can do 4000 shifts before you have to put in in your charger. but i would say put it in the charger once a month. it takes 2 hours and it is ready to do another 4000 shifts.

i have just bought a garmin 800 to put on the bike to really get the electronic's going. you need a degree to work these cycle computers, what happened to the days when all you could tell from the computer was the time and speed.

I will try and get some good pic's but i aint no david bailey with a camera. I will be at mountain mayhem like a peacock with my new toy, so all can have a gander and a feel.

thanks andy

As far as I can see, those are Di2 remote time trial shifters...Have you drilled them? I´m very interested in your project.

marinito":1o6aoqhv said:
As far as I can see, those are Di2 remote time trial shifters...Have you drilled them? I´m very interested in your project.

They are indeed tri shifters and i cut the bar end insert off and put a barend plug in the hole that was left. I then took them apart and drilled through the plastic so i could put a bolt through and then clamped it to the xtr shifter pod clamp.

I have now put all the wireing and led indicator up inside the steerer tube. new close up pic's to come of the tidy up.

thanks andy

Thank God my baby is now complete. I have tried to show close ups of the triggers and any other part of this project, it has been costly but worth it. I am still truly amazed by this system, and i know my fellow retro boys still have questions. anybody want any information or are totally baffeled by what the hell i have done can just ask the "question what is this" or "how does this work".

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

thanks andy

Fantastic job. Very clean.

Could you please post a couple pictures of the bottom bracket to see how cables are guided? Thanks. :D

marinito":1ok6x95w said:
Fantastic job. Very clean.

Could you please post a couple pictures of the bottom bracket to see how cables are guided? Thanks. :D

Here is some pics of the routing, not the best pic's, sorry she is dirty but it has to be tested and that rain yesterday was perfect on the single track.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

thanks andy

Back