frame building courses

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
At the end of the summer season i'm treating myself to a frame building course, wondering who would be the best value and need to be uk based.

I would love to know of any courses in London, if possible?
By Frame building, do you mean making a frame from scratch, or building a bike from bare frame and adding all the components?
I am looking for the latter.
I have looked on the ctc calender, they have an advanced repair / maintenance course £99. but it looks to be MTB biased.
Any other course info would be great.
Many thanks
Ian

Frame building= building a frame from tubes up.

You dont need a course to build your own bike, the material is all online and a little trial and error will get you there. It is fairly obvious if its wrong. If you can manage lego technic, you can build a bike imo.

For the OP, the few courses I have ever seen tend to be booked up a good year in advance.

http://www.downlandcycles.co.uk/frameBuilding.htm

These guys run a course over near Canterbury...around £1100 for the course and frame (+1 day and £165 for forks), doesn't strike me as unreasonable for 5 days of 2:1 technical tuition.

I can't vouch for the course, but I did a similar one 20 years ago with Harry Quinn and it was a sound enough introduction to building. Don't try to build the best frame ever, or expect it to be a lifelong friend, though. I hardly rode that original frame, but it gave me the confidence to build another 30 or so over the next 5 years. Harry said that the first 20 frames would be rubbish...I'd say that was about right. So much is down to experience.

All the best,

JeRkY":2m41k4wu said:
Frame building= building a frame from tubes up.

You dont need a course to build your own bike, the material is all online and a little trial and error will get you there. It is fairly obvious if its wrong. If you can manage lego technic, you can build a bike imo.

For the OP, the few courses I have ever seen tend to be booked up a good year in advance.

the same can be said for frame building, its all on youtube nowadays.

I think I'd still prefer to do a course, it's one thing to say "you can see where you're going wrong" and another to actually do it! Especially when you're talking about geometry and getting a nice ride as the out come!

i saw an interesting auction for a colnago frame jig a while back but they wanted about 3k euros for it, i think basically if you are using jigs there isn't much to go wrong...

It's all just trial and error untill you know what you are doing...i do agree that having a teacher on hand is always better but with courses at £1k thats a LOT of metal tubing to practice on.

True enough, I dunno, to me it just makes more sense to learn from someone who knows better than waste your time falling into traps you other wise wouldn't. I know that if I could get my hands on a decent jig I'd build myself a nice racer, a track bike and a tourer, a fraction of the cost too. I suppose the thing to do would be concentrate on getting the jigs built as best you possibly can and going from there.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back