1990 Yeti C26

legendary!! the funny thing is that I remember not liking those bars at all BITD. off course I didn't realise at all that this would turn in such an iconic thing, that every biker with some history in the sport links to JT.

Like some other RB members, I'm dying to hear the story behind the frame/build!

What can I say apart from what's already been said!

That's the bike I think most of us would like to own!

this has just brightened up my day.

another person wanting the background on the frame and build please

Thanks again for all of your kind words. Ive not been near a proper PC for a few days - restricted to iPhone!

Lots of you asked about the origins of this bike and comparisons have been drawn to Ameybrooks BoTY winning C26. As I said, this project took three years to complete with the help of lots of the VRC community in the UK and USA - especially Ameybrook.

So the story is this. Whilst Ameybrooks frame was being built by Chris Herting (along with another frame that is now in mainland Europe), Mike (Ameybrook) contacted me with news of another Easton C9 tubeset and would I want it? I didn't have to ask a price I just agreed to pay whatever the seller wanted. At this time I didn't know if Chris would agree to build another frame and knew the lead time on his work is long....

With the tubes secured, I asked Chris if he'd build it. His reply was along the lines of "sure so long as you pay and are prepared to wait". Having dismissed using my own 20" FRO Frame I set about finding a donor bike.A good few months later this came up for sale here on Retrobike:

C-26donorFRO.jpg

And so a deal was done and a long wait commenced.

DonorTubes.jpg

Nearly two years and I got word that my frame was done:

IMG_6078.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

Roll on another 9 months and I finally finished the build to a point where I'm at peace with it. It now hangs on my study wall frustrating me that it's too small (and I'm too fat) to ride it!

Thanks for the info, great build story - you some serious levels of patience!

Am I right in thinking that there are now 3 C26s built recently out of some sets of C9 tubing?

You must have taken it for a spin around the block at least? ;)

nevadasmith":202mkcku said:
You must have taken it for a spin around the block at least? ;)

Nope. Not sure why I bothered spending over an hour getting the indexing perfect :roll:

Wow. I didn't know the history to this model until now. It shows fantastic dedication and the bike seems to "make sense" to me much more now.

Awesome. :cool:

Back