External BB question

FSR-Si":2v7121wb said:
Halfords wont touch it, they say its not covered under warranty because its down to wear and tear :cry:
It's only wear and tear if it worn within a respectable lifetime.
If you would expect the bottom bracket to last longer than you have a claim in my opinion.
If they don't wish to replace it, play hard with them, ask for proof that this is after it's expected wear and tear lifetime. They cannot just 'make it up'.
Bring up things like Mean Time Between Failure etc ;)

what he said :)

the whole 1 year warranty thing is bobbins. according to trading standards any item bought from a retailer is supposed to last a 'reasonable amount of time'. this negates things like wear and tear parts only having a years warranty, as if you dont ride it for 9 months of the year then the parts would only have 3 months use a year.

WD Pro":wqxvbqfa said:
FSR-Si - Noticed your location, did you go to school around there and how old are you ? :D

WD :D

I'm from leigh originally and went to bedford high, and i'm a very handsome 40yr old :LOL:

if it had been an expensive part then i would have argued the toss with them, but seeing as its only a £30 part and i use the bike every other day i'm just gonna buy the thing and fit it myself to keep me on the trails

We live in a different world when it comes to saying a £30 bottom bracket (or in this case 2 bearings really) is cheap, you don't even get the axel!

FSR-Si":18u7t6tl said:
WD Pro":18u7t6tl said:
FSR-Si - Noticed your location, did you go to school around there and how old are you ? :D

I'm from leigh originally and went to bedford high, and i'm a very handsome 40yr old :LOL:

36 and Hesketh Fletcher for me - mum and dad still live Atherton and if you ride from Atherton down to Lilford woods you probably pass their house :D

Was down there four to five times a week when I was younger/ riding frequently :cool:

where i lived in leigh was the other side of lilford woods, seven hills was ace on a bmx lol, if ever your down here again give me a nod and we'll have a ride out :cool:

FluffyChicken":1mpnjdk4 said:
We live in a different world when it comes to saying a £30 bottom bracket (or in this case 2 bearings really) is cheap, you don't even get the axel!

dont get me wrong i'm far from flush but to buy the new part to keep me rolling was worth it to me, ok so the kids might have to go without food for a few days but i'm sure they'll cope :LOL:

I have 2 external bb and both have a bit of play , but it doesnt seem to get any worse .

compared to square taper , they are a lot more rigid , but dont seem to last so long .

might try an expensive one next time , chris king or hope ceramic to see if it makes a difference .

Back