'91 Zaskar FINISHED

feetabix":vhhkky8w said:
silver 231's sound great....will suit the frame too!....

+1 silver m231s are btter than the CDs IMO - they are going to look great on this.

Really looking forward to the finished bike :D

brummieguy":1f7jhriv said:
feetabix":1f7jhriv said:
silver 231's sound great....will suit the frame too!....

Thank you

Any other views?

CV-7's are a mid level rim that were spec'd on Tequesta's, Karakoram's and even Timberline's one year. They are single wall and are heavier. Although the 91 Zaskar was not sold as a complete bike a period correct rim from that time would be a Ritchey Vantage Comp (which GT spec'd on the Team Avalanche and Avalanche in 1991) or perhaps an Araya RM-17.

gm1230126":k98xtmny said:
... Ritchey Vantage Comp (which GT spec'd on the Team Avalanche and Avalanche in 1991) or perhaps an Araya RM-17.

Thanks GM - you are of course correct - I have both M231s & CV-7s (the former from my Explosif & the latter from my Karakoram), and although rare, 231CDs become available more often than either of the two strictly period options so I may have to compromise here...

Gutted! Velo-Tech just emailed to say the headset I'd ordered from them (the last one in their stock according to their webpage) isn't in stock after all & CK say 6-8 weeks before more will arrive.

& this was the one bit that was going to be easy!

So I think I'll go with a less sexy but more original Tioga sealed job from the Kara instead for the time-being...

Look what came in the post this morning...

A beautiful Syncros crankset with matching bolts & b/b
New SPDs
New grey Megabites

:)

Attachments

• New arrivals.jpg
    New arrivals.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,504
Mr Duke":1riv030s said:
This looks ACE, I've got mine ready for a rebuild this summer. Cant wait to see it! :p

The brake cables & two flip-flop stems (135mm NOS & 105mm used - thanks Coomber) came today - I'll leave the NOS in its factory black paint & get the used one powdercoated with the forks whenever they turn up.

I've ordered a couple of replacement bearings for the syncros BB & serviced a third (it's a double row BB) and ordered black Stronglight outer & middle rings (46t & 36t), and a black BBB 26t inner - the syncros cranks are cd so the rings I'd earmarked for this project are no good. I'm happier to end up with black rings though.

I've got a black Kona 165 'bar coming from Ratbane which I think I'll put on my Kara in exchange for its original GT one, and there's a NOS GT headset lockring coming from eBay ready for fitting once I've definitely decided on a headset

The frame's looking okay but I'm thinking about sending it up to a metal polishers in Birmingham's jewellry quarter for some serious tlc. Not sure yet but the possibility of having it finished professionally is becoming increasingly appealing.

Finally I'm still toying with a rim selection & once that's decided I'll try a few sets of tyres until I'm happy. I've got various NOS Ritcheys in amberwall, blackwall, & a pair of amberwall grey treads that I bought for this, but I'll see what looks best in the end.

Interesting decisions to make over the weekend
:D

Saturday morning update

This is really coming along now :D

The bottom bracket's ready to fit, I had an old red H20 bottle cage that I've "blackened", the Stronglights have arrived, along with the rear mech & brake levers, a Syncros seatpost, Ritchey Racing K amberwalls & two sets of decals from Gil.

Still waiting for the fork to clear customs & the inner chainring to finally turn up :(

In the meantime I've been busy & now have on the way;

NOS Tioga headset
Black Ringle wheel q/r's (missed out on a seat q/r when it went over £70)
Ritchey Vantage Expert rims (not Comp but for £12.50 I'm delighted with that purchase)
NOS Flite Evo carbon saddle (which makes me the most excited man I know)
various titanium bolts

& potentially a GT duraluminium bar & a front mech from RB'ers

Assuming those last two come off then that's all of the kit I need (exceptions - gear cables & chain) :)

I have decided on a wheel set-up;

Ritchey Racing K Force WCS amberwall
Ritchey Vantage Expert rims dark ano
NOS 735 hubs
Ringle q/r's
DT Swiss bits

I'm happy with that as a quality period arrangement without it breaking the bank

And finally (and most importantly) the frame goes off to the Jewellery Quarter on Monday for some professional hand polishing. I don't have the patience for doing it thoroughly but having spent a few hours on it, the potential is so obvious that I'm curious to see just how good it will get. I'll take some before pics for comparison.

Attachments

• More Zaskar bits.jpg
    More Zaskar bits.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,434
  • Zaskar bits.jpg
    Zaskar bits.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,434
Wow, your attention to detail and desire to get it 'just right' is superb :cool:

If it'll be anything like your other builds, we're in for a treat! Oh, and your Clockwork is one of my favourite bikes on here as well :D

its going to look very very nice when you build it! those parts are really nice. sounds like it might come back seriously shiny! :LOL:

they do patina off though you know..

Back