Coolwall June 2011 - Girvin Flexstem

Coolwall June 2011 - Girvin Flexstem

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I lusted after then bought a fluro yellow one BITD and it was COOL. My friends were jealous and I rocked (in my mind). Were they as good as "real" suspension? No. Were they slightly scary if they compressed at the bottom of a drop off tipping you much too far forward? Yes. Do I still love them? Most definitely. :)

If we review all the stuff we thought was cool BITD by today's standards, then the majority of it would be uncool! Stick with your 14 year old self and vote Cool. :)

Girvin

BITD, if you didn't have mega money the choice was either a Flex-stem or nasty sus forks that were a nightmare to fit.

I spent my hard earned cash on the easy to fit and cheap stem.... Then saved up for Girvin forks on a Proflex. ;-)

COOL!

Cool BITD.

I remember buying my first decent MTB (Kona Fire Mountain) and bought one when I picked the bike up, cycled home and fitted it straight away. So apart from the 4 miles home from the bike shop I never knew how a Kona on Project 2's steered anyway.

God I was dumb in those days.

Tazio":2n4u7x19 said:
I remember buying my first decent MTB (Kona Fire Mountain) and bought one when I picked the bike up, cycled home and fitted it straight away. So apart from the 4 miles home from the bike shop I never knew how a Kona on Project 2's steered anyway.
Found that bit most amusing!

Neil":xskskonf said:
Tazio":xskskonf said:
Found that bit most amusing!

Not as amusing as I found it when I eventually got rid of the flexstem in the name of weight saving to make it into a lightweight commuter. It felt like a different bike.

BarneyRubble":1msjptgo said:
If we review all the stuff we thought was cool BITD by today's standards, then the majority of it would be uncool! Stick with your 14 year old self and vote Cool. :)

+1

Hugely, hugely uncool then. ;)

my mates offroad had one and i borrowed his bike at lunch to try it out......the first step toward proper suspension, and i would have sold my nan for his bike back then......COOL!.....

So uncool, wanted one bitd, got one 2 years ago and quickly sold it, as others have said they are heavy and ugly and pretty useless. Ti ones look better but i suspect tgey are just as pants if a bit lighter.

Nevermind suspension forks, I couldn't even afford these when they came out. I bought my first one three years ago and I'm thirty years old. Cool.

Off topic - Gazz, love the avatar I remember that episode when it first came out, I chuckle every time I look at that picture.

Latest posts

Back