Newbie Here. Sun Stanga?

Coedy

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone.

I have just purchased a Sun Stanga & Would love to know a bit more information about it :)

Its got a riveted on badge on the front of the frame near the handlebars. Red logos on the tops of the nuts that hold the front wheels one (though they are scuffed to hell :( ).
It also has a gear shifter that I can only describe as 'Pant messingly odd' :oops: Think I need to try and get used to that pretty quickly! What with it being between your legs...Pretty steep learning curve! especially coming from a wide knobbly tyred low down bmx! :LOL:

This is my first 'Real' bike after having previously owned a normal mountain bike, then a cheap horrible tatty BMX.
I own and have restored my classic car so would like to restore this bike :) It only needs tidying up really as far as I can tell. The paint is pitting all over (tiny orange/brown scabs so guessing it will need a full respray).
Im wondering if anyone knew where I could get replacement decals made up for it for when it is resprayed?

The only photo I have for now is attached below.

(Ive no idea if this is the correct sub forum for this so feel free to move it if needed, I have no idea how old it is! :roll: )

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,447
haha a cheapy indeed! it was in the market watch sub forum...i saw it and thought thats a lovely bike for 20 pounds then cursed the fact that it was too far away.

Anyway its a lovely looking thing, i don't know anything about it but i'm sure someone will be along shortly who does...i really love the colour scheme though.

for the transfers...

http://www.hlloydcycles.com/

has a pretty huge selection...plus more that arent on the site if you just drop him a line or else ever faithful ebay!

Looks very nice. Paint looks fine to me. Just get rid of that saddle, and get somethig appropriate. Ruins the whole look.

Thanks Guys! :D

The paint does look better in the photo...I was sort of shocked when I saw it. But I am making it sound worse than it is.. I will get some more pics of it tomorrow if I can (its meant to rain constantly until tuesday though..)

I agree about the saddle. Im not sure what is the right age/look really.. needs to be comfortable though as im pretty lanky and have a bony arse..

I do have an old white leather wide saddle with springs on the underside.. Ill try that on it if there is a gap in the weather. Really want to keep it white/blue.

Thanks for the heads up on the stickers. I googled Sun Stanga and brought up nothing except for ones previously for sale. I also checked ebay, no luck for anything 'sun stanga' :(

The chap I bought it off sounded really surprised when I phoned up to reserve it 40minutes after he posted it!

Still looking forward to hearing more info about it though when someone pops along and see's this. But thanks for the good comments and pointers! :D

Thats the sort of history I wanted! :D

1960's.... :shock: Surely not? My Mini was only 1987 and that was rotten to hell and back! surely its not actually around 50 years old??? :shock:

I had considered haggling :p . I got as far as "Hmmm paints all pitted...." and he said "you can have the bike lock and drinks holder as well..." before getting those from next to his wall :LOL:
(I actually needed a Bike lock, and this one is detachable... They wont be going back on, but lock seems a nice one at least!)

So! What should I check over the weekend? Any basic maintenance I should do considering it could possibly be twice my age??
(Anything I could lube/clean out/adjust?)

Im petrified of riding it now...don't want to prang/break it.... :cry: :LOL:

(Also, the Decal guy is away until the end of the month. I will get in touch with him end of next month so he isn't swamped as im not in a rush as its ridable as is :) Thanks for the details again)

That depends on your standards! if it was me i'd check the brakes worked properly, that the tyres weren't perished and that the chain was lubed...then that would be it! but thats just because i'm lazy.

I'd rather be riding it than molly coddling it...

well the rear brake feels...spongy? seems there is slack in the cable. we quickly adjusted it a bit and it went worse... but seeing as it was piddling with rain at the time I gave up.

Front one is like dropping an anchor though, almost went over the handlebars :LOL:

The tyres seem fine, could do with a little more air but seem fine, no nails, cracks etc, in fact they look quite new, loads of tread.

Ive never lubed a chain in my life... :LOL: Could be why my mountain bike died to be honest... is it just a case of running 2in1 over it and over the gears?

the front wheel has a washer on each side before the nuts. are the washers meant to go on the outsides of the forks (wheel, fork, washer, nut) or inside the forks (wheel,washer, fork, nut). I couldnt remember how they were when I bought it, and I removed the front wheel to get the bike in the car... :oops:

Its maiden voyage will be into town next week with my mate (11miles in and back) so just thinking ahead... :LOL:

I'd imagine the washers would go on the outside, look at the fork and you will see where the ring of wear will be where it was before...that's how i do it when i forget.

The front brake is the more important of the two anyway the rear just gives balance, but still its better to have some sort of back brake.

They sell bike chain oil which will cling better (thats the theory) it's only a couple of quid for a bottle which will last you a very long time... just don't use wd40 because that will really damage things!

Back