Coolwall June 2011 - Girvin Flexstem

Coolwall June 2011 - Girvin Flexstem

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i realise some people hate them but i never had an issue with them, had one years ago on a muddy fox alu pro then added mag 20's, had 3" of travel up front in 1993! :D

more recently i have had 2 swapped around on a few different bikes, never suffered with steering issue which some complain of. i think getting the correct elastomer helps.

i haven't currently got any but i wouldn't have a problem getting another one if it was right for a project

cool :cool:

Back in 1990 these were a cool thing to have when you were 14 and everyone else had full rigid set ups and couldn't afford to get one of these.

big, ugly heavy and cumbersome - yes.

Cool? - abso-bloody-lutely :cool:

I'll buck the trend and go COOL!

Cheap alternative BITD and moved on to the totally cool Girvin forks...

Having said that never ridden one...

You really owe it to yourself to try one, it's a giggle if nothing else :LOL:

I think they are cooler now than before to be honest. I think my ti bar stem combo is very cool but it is definitely poor man's suspension. Having said that I think they perform better than a cheapo fork.

My vote is uncool but that is not to say I am not a fan.

Uncool.

As has been said already, they were seen as the poor man's suspension. They didn't really work, they were just different. And yes, they may well help someone out there with reducing trail buzz, but that don't make 'em cool! As a teenager I chose to ride rigid over bolting one of those to my bike. Plenty of mates had them, including one or two who loosened the bolts to give more 'travel'. And then the bumpers would perish and you'd have a heavy, clunky, often day-glo (when it had gone out of fashion) stem that pitched you over the bars by half an inch just when you didn't want it.

Flexstems make me think of friends who rode Raleigh Apex's, but what they really wanted was the Summit.

So no, not cool in my humble opinion. But not out of place on some cool builds, just to be obtuse!

Cool as I have one on my current build and
SAM_1236.jpg
a near mint condition in a box

so its a cool from me :D

Back