A Friends Classics - Raleigh Record Sprint & Wilson Pro

willhouse

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Thought I'd post these up for my friend.

First up, a Raleigh Record Sprint Tour of Britain Rep.

This Raleigh cycle has been in 1 family since new in 1969. It was bought for my friend by his late father for 19 guineas, which in current money would be £19.95. Very hard to comprehend as this bike was essentially the top of the range at the time and highly exclusive.
The Bike was bought at a reduced price due to being 'shop soiled' from Henry Holmes cycles London Road, Heeley, Sheffield.
The frame was built up with a variety of components available at the time:
- GB Mount Ventoux Bars
- GB Stem
- Weinmann sidepull brakes (Currently running Campagnolo period parts)
- Period Brooks B17 Sprinter saddle.
- Williams Double Chainset (47/49)
- Normandy Large Flange Wheels with Weinmann rims shod with Michelin 50's.

The bike was used for racing and Sunday club runs, as well as general enjoyment, but from the current condition it is in, you would be fooled to think that it is a 70's bike which looks like it has done 100 miles.

After much research with regard to the frameset and equipment fitted, it is believed that the bike was built around 1966 as a 'Tour of Britain' replica at the Carlton Factory in Worksop, Notts.
The plating was out-shopped to Prestige Plating of Barnsley, who still exist today in Mexborough, South Yorkshire, where they still recieve any plating requirements he has on bike components, and I must state the quality from them is outstanding.
PS.... The plating on the Raleigh is still the original finish, no rust to be seen...

As already mentioned on a few parts, the components have been changed over to period upgrades, generally Campagnolo and of the highest qualiy and condition, sourced from many vintage bike fairs and people around England.
The paint panels have been re-finished at some point in its like by Atlantic Boulevard in Bury.

The bike it still ridden in dry summer weather and is an absolute joy to use from what I have been told, especially considering its age...

Raleigh Record Sprint Tour of Britain Rep by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Raleigh Record Sprint Tour of Britain Rep Rear by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Raleigh Record Sprint Tour of Britain Rep Front by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Raleigh Record Sprint Tour of Britain Rep Front Brake by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Raleigh Record Sprint Tour of Britain Rep Smiths Clock by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Raleigh Record Sprint Tour of Britain Rep Campagnolo Shifters by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Raleigh Record Sprint Tour of Britain Campagnolo Rear Hub by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Raleigh Record Sprint Tour of Britain Rep Front Derailer by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Raleigh Record Sprint Tour of Britain Rep Seat by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Second up, a Wilson Professional Custom Built in Sheffield circa 1956.
Originally made as a Pro-spec race bike, and since been through a number of restorations, but now back to its original decals and period colour.
Currently being built back up with period componentry which has been freshly plated and restored.

1950s Wilson Professional by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

1950s Wilson Professional Headstock by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

1950s Wilson Professional Campagnolo Shifters by outHOUSEpics, on Flickr

Now, just me needs to get a project on the go...

Absolutely amazing. Where to start?

Looking at those pics (great pics, by the way) my first thought was they look like they belonged in a museum, to be preserved for posterity. The condition is breathtaking - original chrome plating! However, the reality is these were designed and made to be ridden, to give enjoyment and feedom to their rider(s). It is fantastic that the first is still being ridden, fufilling its mission in life.

The single family history adds another dimension to the tale. What a well spent 19 guineas, to be giving pleasure forty odd years later.

Thanks for the pics,

David

Thanks for the comments David.

I wished I had a better backdrop to take the pictures, but it was a bit of a spur of the moment photoshoot one Sunday in his back garden with a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich.

The Raleigh itself could be classed as museum material simply due to its exclusivity, I dont think this particular frameset exists in double figures :shock:
But it does get its trips out on fine days, but is meticulously cared for.

I will get some more shots of the Wilson when it is finished.

Two beautiful bikes. I just love that all chrome frame. Those lugs are very similar to my Carlton Flyer, possibly built at Worksop?

Wilson's did provide the period decals from the original shop in Sheffield, and very helpful they were too when I contacted them to see if they could get them still.
I forget the name of the type of decals, but they are the really difficult ones to apply which need to be rested in water/meths and then carefully applied.
I have just been round at Kevin's tonight, and he has progressed the Wilson build at little with a few more components fitted, and his Brookes treated ready for fitment.

With regard to the Raleigh, he has said that it was built at Worksop, so is likely to be the same factory as the Carlton, and probably built by Gerald O'Donovan.
On discussion of numbers, he reckons no more than 20 ever built.

Both Beautiful machines and local too, love the Raleigh the chrome and pale blue just works..I 've got a Wilson badged TT machine from the 80's I think could have been a bought in jobbie, It's not as nice as the 50's one pictured here though!

By the way lovely old 1960's Smiths pocket watch in a Terry's watchclip methinks...I must get some transfers for my Wilson while they're still available!

Back