My 1989 Formula Orange....

>>>> Its bikes like this that make me proud to be " ENGLISH"... :cool:

90% of that 'patina' has come from sitting in a garage for 12 years. The stuck seatpost and the stem rust are not part and parcel of the bikes history.

That bike is an idea candidate for restoration. It is rare and was beautiful and should be put back that way.
You wouldn't leave a 1960s Ferrari to rust in a damp garage claiming that you were trying to 'keep the original patina' so why should a bike of this quality be any different.

Get it out and get it stripped!

pete_mcc":3p4kqgkh said:
90% of that 'patina' has come from sitting in a garage for 12 years. The stuck seatpost and the stem rust are not part and parcel of the bikes history.

That bike is an idea candidate for restoration. It is rare and was beautiful and should be put back that way.
You wouldn't leave a 1960s Ferrari to rust in a damp garage claiming that you were trying to 'keep the original patina' so why should a bike of this quality be any different.

Get it out and get it stripped!

Agree, this is not used patina. Given condition, I would resto this one for sure.
Deserves a good job though, rattle can this one black and someone will come round and not be best pleased..

Four pages in and only a couple of posts from the OP :?
I don't testify to know that much about these bikes but the bubbling cauldron of interest and feverish anticipation is truly intoxicating.

Welcome to Retrobike fella, quite an introduction. :D

:shock: I am a bit freaked out buy the interest this has generated :shock:

I have been busy today and have only managed to get it out and start to strip it down, everything is a bit manky and it gets plenty of DW40 before I let a spanner or allen key near anything.

First job is to strip it fully and find out what condition everything is in, then gonna T Cut the frame and assess.

As for when exactly I bought it, I think it was June or July of 89, sorry I can't be more specific at present. I will see if I can dig out anymore info.

A few more pics

Attachments

• DSC00512.JPG
    DSC00512.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSC00513.JPG
    DSC00513.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSC00517.JPG
    DSC00517.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSC00518.JPG
    DSC00518.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,046
I have to say, I've had a few Orange bikes over the years but have never seen a "Formula", it's certainly got some interesting touches to the frame that make it a bit different from the norm, and the fact that it is one of the early models does set it apart from the usual Orange bikes. I guess this is at least part of the reason why fans of the Orange brand are a little excited about it, it represents a small slice of British Mountainbiking/building history.
And to think it's been laying undisturbed just gathering dust for the last 12 years :LOL: it's kind of like opening an old barn and finding a classic car inside :D

the stamped "ORANGE" in the seat tube i did not expect..........cool... :cool: :shock: :cool:

its near complete and original spec too................ :shock:

Back