My 1989 Formula Orange....

michael@orange":1vil2uue said:
Formulas are super rare and TBH even I have never seen one with that stay arrangement, I'll speak to Lester and see if he can recall how many were made like that, original B52's, Ali O's, Vit T's and Dynamo (mk1) didn't have the monostay so its not like every frame has used it but I'm actually looking at that wondering what is is, i think it might be something a bit more rare than even a Formula is :). Can you let me know the exact date you bought it please?

There are a number of different versions of Formula, Steve (Wade, Orange owner) made a number, I'm pretty sure Dave Yates also made a few for us as did Paul Donohue, its hard to know exact numbers, no-one kept a record, my best guess, less than 20 made, most went to mates of Lester. Top Mark were one of the original Orange dealers as Bill Nixon the owner was one of Lester's windsurfing friends.

I dont think we have decals, we've got very little left from the original days as the business was about selling stuff not hoarding :D no first catalogue, few decals and even the artwork files got stored on floppy discs now degraded or old 11cx macs long since dead :( will look next time I'm at the barn but dont hold out much hope.

We dont have a Formula in the factory museum, I've traced a couple over the years and one day might get someone to loan us one to display, a lot did go to friends of Lester, I know Graham Longstaff, former NEMBA chairman has one as do a couple of his sailing friends.

We do have a Formula road bike, built by Steve circa 89/90 with compact geometry and max tubing, a few years ahead of compact geometry ever becoming commonplace on the road :)

I stand corrected. Brilliant info Michael, I look forward to hearing more. Even rarer then a Formula eh.......... :shock:

michael@orange":1qwhevfn said:
We do have a Formula road bike, built by Steve circa 89/90 with compact geometry and max tubing, a few years ahead of compact geometry ever becoming commonplace on the road :)

For reference: an Orange roadie bikey:

an_orange_in_the_bush_162.jpg

Liking the roadie bike, I'd be tempted to buy such a beast now so they were a bit ahead of the game!

Interesting early bike. Am I wrong in thinking the Patina/original paint and decals should stay/be preserved?

:cool:

Happy to help with decals if Gil doesn't fancy making them up. I've done a few, and they'd over to him for printing, of course :)

Interesting early bike. Am I wrong in thinking the Patina/original paint and decals should stay/be preserved?

Not from where im sat, i say with the paint faded as it is, re-finish and restore back to its original glory. even if this means seeking advice and guidence from either steve/lester or both.

Too important a bike to leave as a shed find....!!!!

but this is just my opinion. :? either way im glad to have seen it.

sinnerman":3kvfanqq said:

Not from where im sat, i say with the paint faded as it is, re-finish and restore back to its original glory. even if this means seeking advice and guidence from either steve/lester or both.

Too important a bike to leave as a shed find....!!!!

but this is just my opinion. :? either way im glad to have seen it.

To restore or leave patina is a difficult one.

It's hard to make out the overall condition of the bike looking at the pictures, however it looks like a fair bot of surface corrosion on the frame. I'd be thinking about restoring.

I think John and Mike have hit the nail on the head there. Some detailed photos are a must as a next step.

What a bike to make your Retrobike entrance with though!

Good answers, It is tricky. Mike D's idea is a good one. Like a Classic car if a good log is kept of progress a proper resto may well work out well.

Great to see Orange on here too. :) as said hoarding wasn't the business then but they didn't have history then, they do now. One good reason to be proud of being from Halifax/the North! :cool:

Back