kona a'ha

kanerdog1x1

Senior Retro Guru
hi all, i know i probably paid over the odds for this one, but have always wanted one, but couldnt justify it all those years ago, and dont see many of them now. i didnt really want a humu, as i prefer the a'ha's curved top tube, so this was ideal when i saw it up for sale.
plans are a total strip down, possible(probable) respray, and rather than worry about getting period components that dont work, build it up with modern bits so that i ride it (hard) and know that it wont go wrong.
any way, its in bits now, ive dug out a pair if proper p2's from the attic that are just the right steerer length, and have started to source bits. will update when ive got somewhere near.

oh, and if any body else has got a kona ss, humu/aha or whatever, get some fotos on this thread, i need inspiration!

A'ha!

:evil:
I'm still sulking about that one...

Not really - I discussed buying it off James but only really wanted the frame.
A few days later he told me someone had offered him the asking price.

So I can't argue with that. Nice bike!

My Humu rides great, but the A'ha still eludes me...

;)

rite, this project has been fairly dormant for a while, i managed to source most of the bits for it earlier this year, but the most important part was getting the frame up to scratch. so with a few days to spare after christmas i have done a few mods to the frame before it goes to paint.
firstly i have removed the ugly cantilever cable hanger, redundant as i will use xt vee brakes.

then i have also removed the bosses for the rack, very ugly i think on a mountain bike, you will notice that kona have already removed some in the past, perhaps they were placed wrong in the factory?

nice and smooth.

these are the stickers i will be using, originals from paligap, ordered about 8 years ago i think(cheers chris!)

and the forks, going to get these powder coated semi-gloss black to match the syncros stem.

more updates as i get the chance!

only a mini little update, gathered together most of the bits for the rebuild from home and work, the wheels are just out of shot. the theme i am taking for the rebuild is a modern take on parts that were available when the bike was new, so xt v brakes were big news bitd, fsa had just started making cranks, syncros are still making THE stem and seatpost to have, ringle headset and qr's, shimano ultegra hubs and mavic rims etc....i only need some bars and a pair of pedals now to finish, oh and to get the paint underway.

Looking good, so far.

I did a bit of work on mine over Xmas, but had a few hassles. Some of the parts I bought on here weren't suitable (mostly due to the 110mm rear spacing and 42mm chain line). It's rideable, but not finished to my liking.

I was considering re-spraying mine, too, but also wanted to avoid throwing shed-loads of money at it, as I have other rojects to fund.

... maybe I'll learn to live with the Stars & Bars paint...

funny, mine is 130mm, same as a road bike, perhaps mine is a variant for another country or has been played with beffore?

i too dont like the stars n bars painbt, i think it makes its look like a cheap kids cruiser, much more classy in a single colour. booking the frame in with argos this week, so hopefully should get it back before the end of the month...

ooh, black, that was my first choice but the stickers i have are silver with a black outline, so black is a no-no. bright colours need only apply.....

dropped the forks off today with the powder coater, and took the stem with me to get a accurate colour match (finish). apparently the colour is 'matt' black, i thought it was going to be semi gloss or satin, but matt black was near as damn it perfect. he also had the best masking take i have ever used for the steerer and brake bosses, its made of plastic, is really sticky, and is heat resintant so peels off really easily afterwards.
the frame is on its way to argos as we speak, via mark at coombes cycles in hereford, he is settling the bill for the paint because he is a very nice bloke ;)
with any luck the powder coater will bring the forks over tomorrow when he finishes, so will take a foto and update tomorrow.

Back