NWA: Hobson Moor ~ 11/06/11 with added AFTERMATH

elPedro666":27gyt1qk said:
kaya":27gyt1qk said:
We could show you round one nite when I'm over working ;)

Does that sound sinister or am I just getting paranoid? :shock:

Your just being a bit paranoid "shall we wait for the dark nites" to show you round the quite bits ;)

elPedro666":2u71zqxz said:
to protect me from the lunatics! :shock:
lunatic ,im just like a sheep me ,following the one in front :shock: unless im startled I might chuck myself upside down "like fod" :LOL: :LOL:
cornholio if you need picking up from any train station let me no ;)

An aftermath of sorts...

Despite my predictable hangover, we had a great little ride yesterday.
In attendance were myself, mrlee, kaya and g.millin along for his first retrobike ride.

The weather at the start was great with bright sunshine but a slight chill in the wind. While we were shown the delights of plenty of secret singletrack by Lee and Vern, we also had to keep an eye on some very threatening rain clouds.

For most of the ride we beat the weather and enjoyed dry and great riding trails with a few tasty and tricky sections along the way. When we weren't riding we could watch the procession of aeroplanes on their final approach to Manchester Airport, and sample a selection of battered cereal bars rediscovered from the depths of Camelbaks.

After 10 or so miles of quality riding with very little tarmac we began the climb back up onto the moors for our final loop. Near to the summit the weather finally caught us with a pretty spectacular five minutes of heavy horizontal hail storming down and flaying any bare skin.
At this point I just squatted on the ground with my back to the weather and covered my ears from the icy missiles. There was no other shelter.

When the weather finally subsided we regrouped and began a now rain and ice soaked singletrack decent back to a reservoir we'd visited earlier in the day. The trail conditions had been instantly turned from summer to winter conditions. We ploughed our once clean machines through the sludge gathering a fine grinding paste on rims and drive-trains.
The awful sound of increasingly scarce retro parts being slowly destroyed was a bit off-putting, but for most the more immediate pain of a trickle of icy cold water down the back was worse.

By the time we arrived back at our start point we were comprehensively filthy. But the sun had returned and it had all been fun in the end.

So thanks to Lee and Vern for their route choice by committee approach which was fun to watch as they argued which way was best. It was a great route chaps, apart from the bit past the farm with the fragrant aroma of cow muck and the nettle run just beyond it.

Thanks and welcome also to Gaz who took on unfamiliar slippery singletrack on semi slick tyres which deserves plenty of respect.

My bike is now fully washed and lubed, I'll tackle my cycling kit with a hose pipe this afternoon though...

(Vern and Lee will no doubt supply the photos)

sounds like a good ride, looking forward to the pics. You'll be glad to know I had no such weather conditions in Cornwall ;)

aftermath

thanks to mrlee vern and paul for the ride was a good day shame about the hail at the end but it made it a little more memorable i think.

cheers guys gaz...

Back