Marin Stinson 1991

Using up what's in stock

Thanks paininthe, this is to be a commuter bike that gets left all hours in the middle of London. I would like parts that are solid and dependable but don't look too flashy.
I was considering spraying it randomly in mismatched colours or even brush painting it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.
Having said that my previous Diamondback bike can't have been worth more than a tenner and I still caught a herbert trying to cut through the chain with a Swiss Army knife. :roll:

Assembly complete

The original crankset is Shimano 100GS, well worn and very heavyweight, for the moment I have fitted the crankset from my Marin East Peak and would welcome any suggestions for a durable but lightweight period option.

I gave the dia-compe cantilever brake set a quick strip down and clean up, then fitted them. The cables could do with changing and all the metal parts are somewhat patinated, but they are simple to adjust and appear to be very effective.

I fitted a Shimano STX deraillieur and a hyperglide Megarange cassette, this gives a wide range of gears from 34-11 teeth. Gear changing will be by a Gripshift unit, currently the cable is too short and I will have to fit a longer one before I can properly test the bike.

I fitted up the wheels and a gear chain, then went for a one minute test ride down my street. Initial impressions are very favourable, the bike feels nimble and with nicely weighted steering, I look forward to getting some miles in.

marin_stinson_37.jpg

Page edited to show new image location

Nice job, it's a good looking bike.

You should consider moving your brake levers down so they are at an angle of 35-45 degrees below level - your hands and wrists will thank you and you'll be able to apply more power through the brakes.

Also I'm not sure about the bar ends - you might want to consider a riser bar or cut those ends down to stubbies using a pipe cutter.

Brake levers

Thanks for the tip, I had set them level after the picture was taken, but I will try them pointing lower as suggested.
Yes those bar ends are a bit big now you mention it and could do with a lick of paint too.

Disaster - Frame cracked

Well the bike has been fantastic for the whole of the summer, I didn't want to ride anything else.
However, I washed it down today and there is a nasty split in the downtube where it meets the headtube, what a shame.
I shall have to go easy on the poor old girl and keep an eye on eBay for another frame, maybe a Sausalito this time as they're all Tange tubing.

End of the road

I broke the frame down a week or so ago and have now scrapped it; but saved all the other parts, some are already back in use on the Muirwoods.

I do fancy another 700c wheeled bike though, they are just that bit faster and more efficient on the road.

I'm riding that exact bike from the first image you posted - lime-green. Bought it in '91 in Idaho Falls, ID. It's on its second wheelset . The geometry for some reason is one of my favorites. It's been turned into my commuter with a front generator in the hub and an internal rear 8-speed. Too bad your frame bit the dust.

Back