dscf5843.jpg

dscf5842.jpg

dscf5839.jpg

dscf5840.jpg

dscf5838.jpg

dscf5836.jpg

dscf5837.jpg

dscf5835.jpg

I bought it for the groupset! I honestly did...

...Got this off EBay, by squinting at the pics I could see it had a good amount of XT on it

I could also see a lot of rust, so I expected the frame to be fit for the skip along with anything else made of steel. When I saw the bike I was very surprised the bloke rolled it out to me and it was full XT, hubs, shifters, brakes, levers, chainset, mechs, pedals the works

Well apart from a 'Strong' seat post, the Specialized seat binder and Specialized headset

Geezer told me he'd been riding occasionally until ill health caused him to stash it in his garage, could have fooled me looked like he'd been keeping it in the sea...

Anyway I rode it about(!) and everything worked

Geezer said he got it off a racer called Andy Keele, who used it for a bit went pro and didn't need it any more - Anyone ever heard of him? He was Midlands based...

Shimano bits are all from late '88 apart from the hubs which are from early '89

Interesting bits are the '88 style seat tube neck which initially caused me to think it was '88, but I haven't seen any '88 Stumpies without a U brake so it must be '89 in spite of this oddity

Rims are Araya RM17s, in great nick, tyres are Panaracer Timbuk II up front and a Duro Rocky Wolf in the back, somehow, not even perished - The RM17s are probably not original? Can't find any late '80s stumpies that didn't have Specialized rims

dscf3425.jpg

dscf3424.jpg

dscf3426.jpg

dscf3427.jpg

dscf3428.jpg

dscf3429.jpg

dscf3430.jpg

dscf3431.jpg

Looks shocking at first, but replace the saddle, all the nuts and bolts and repainted it could look really, really good - Oh and the chain might need to go!

I've ridden it now... It seems cruel to break it up! This one's had a lucky escape, he took it to his LBS who said it needed £150 worth of new parts to be usable... What the hell were they planning?

Argh! you absolute git! :LOL: That's exactly what I'm looking for to build my Stumpy Team up, £40 notes too? I'd better keep my eyes on ebay more carefully!
You're right (I think) in thinking it's an 89' model, canti's, Tig'd frame, same bars as I have for mine, tho yours are in better nick.

Nice bike! and yes, too good and too old to break up imo (unless you were to transplant all the parts onto another equally nice retro frame ;) ).

jimo746":2j37nxvh said:
Argh! you absolute git! :LOL: That's exactly what I'm looking for to build my Stumpy Team up, £40 notes too? I'd better keep my eyes on ebay more carefully!
You're right (I think) in thinking it's an 89' model, canti's, Tig'd frame, same bars as I have for mine, tho yours are in better nick.

Nice bike! and yes, too good and too old to break up imo (unless you were to transplant all the parts onto another equally nice retro frame ;) ).

Haha I better rebuild it then, can't accommodate any more lovely retro frames around here! I was gonna strip all the goodies off, polish them up and put them in the retro-stash

Handy benefit of building this is it gives me something to do while I'm doing some paint work on my other build in progress, I get really impatient with the stages in painting where you have to wait. Arghhhh doing NOTHING to a build for days? I can't face that, so I'll do two at once!

I was actually looking on EBay for a first generation aluminium Stumpy and saw this one in the results, watched it, fired in a bid... no-one else did, but of a surprise to get it so cheaply and for it to be so well specced

Really looking forward to some updates on this one, hope you stick with it.

You mention repaint, are you planning a home rattlecan job or going to get it powdercoated or similar?

BTW, I used your method to set up some cantis tonight. It's the first time I've fitted a set since reading the Saracen thread and it worked a treat.
Will use this method everytime, it takes out all the guesswork, thanks :D .

Cool!

Ah no worries!

I keep meaning to write an article for the new RB tech wiki on canti setup but the same sample article in there has set the bar really high!

As far as this bike goes, there are loads of enamel paints available in rattle cans now, so I'm going to have a go with those just to see if they are any good

Should make for a fairly interesting thread, I haven't painted a bike for many a year!

I've had some excellent results with plasikote on bike frames, two of mine and one for my nephew. It's quite forgiving for thicker coats which mean you can get a really nice finish.
Noticed that "The Range" had it for sale at a couple of quid cheaper than B&Q last week.

weeman_mtb":1veue1j0 said:
I've had some excellent results with plasikote on bike frames, two of mine and one for my nephew. It's quite forgiving for thicker coats which mean you can get a really nice finish.
Noticed that "The Range" had it for sale at a couple of quid cheaper than B&Q last week.

Is that stuff enamel? I wondered what it actually was:) Never used it cos the name put me off

terryhfs":10ehwz33 said:
Loving the rear brake cable routing!

Totally! over bar routing is IN

Also there is a section of cable outer over the run of cable between the guides, along the top tube :D :D

Back