Yeti ProFRO Disc retrofit project (building)

In my opinion, if your going to alter the frame then you HAVE to send it to Chris Herting or FTW.

They are the only people who should be welding up old Yetis.

One thing to remember is there are less & less FROs each year, and with out disc mounts it will be worth a lot more in the future.

Good luck with your project.

Andrew

yetifan.com":2bglp1zi said:
In my opinion, if your going to alter the frame then you HAVE to send it to Chris Herting or FTW.

They are the only people who should be welding up old Yetis.

One thing to remember is there are less & less FROs each year, and with out disc mounts it will be worth a lot more in the future.

Good luck with your project.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, thanks - the ProFRO (not that special as a FRO)... is beeing retrofitted by the Norwegian bike smidth Truls Erik Johnsen http://www.johnsenframeworks.com/ - He is as close as I can get to a "FTW" here in Norway. Truls is though a acquaintance of The real FTW (how much does that count huh?)

Anyway... I have all the chopped hardware from the frame, but this will be a nice and functional bike - a true fireroad/dirt road bike + It is a fun project...

Tor

PS I am not altering the frame(!) only modifieing the brakes. The frame is as it always been. Just like a modified 1965 SWB Porsche 912 being fitted with newer and better brakes :cool:

yeti-man":2cnj3kzh said:
Anyway... I have all the chopped hardware from the frame, but this will be a nice and functional bike - a true fireroad/dirt road bike + It is a fun project...

So it's not even going to be ridden off road properly? And you feel the need to fit discs for a gravel road? Canti's, even just a foot on the tyre, are good enough for fire roads [/sigh]

If you are going to butcher a classic frame then at least pay it some respect and thrash it on some proper off road.

PS I am not altering the frame(!) only modifieing the brakes. The frame is as it always been. Just like a modified 1965 SWB Porsche 912 being fitted with newer and better brakes :cool:

But for the Porsche it's just a reversible bolt on job and it doesn't affect the essential character and look of the car. Its not a direct comparison.

At the end of the day it's your bike and you can do what you like but if you chop and change a rare classic bike frame for no good reason you're gonna be getting some stick about it!!! :-D

Rob Atkin":3owbnp3b said:
yeti-man":3owbnp3b said:

So it's not even going to be ridden off road properly? And you feel the need to fit discs for a gravel road? Canti's, even just a foot on the tyre, are good enough for fire roads [/sigh]

If you are going to butcher a classic frame then at least pay it some respect and thrash it on some proper off road.

But for the Porsche it's just a reversible bolt on job and it doesn't affect the essential character and look of the car. Its not a direct comparison.

At the end of the day it's your bike and you can do what you like but if you chop and change a rare classic bike frame for no good reason you're gonna be getting some stick about it!!! :-D

Gee I like the enthusiasm... yes yes yes it will be ridden "off road", on singletracks, up in the mountains, around the lakes, I even take it with me up north to North cape this summer

;)

find it funny that people are complaining about the poor welding but cant work out its not weld!

for what its worth i'd say that you are doing the right thing by making the bike how You want it as its YOUR bike. i'd weld a tab to a manitou ht if it was MY bike....

jamabikes":31vr7tmo said:
find it funny that people are complaining about the poor welding but cant work out its not weld!

for what its worth i'd say that you are doing the right thing by making the bike how You want it as its YOUR bike. i'd weld a tab to a manitou ht if it was MY bike....

Bullseye!

yes and how cool wouldnt it bee to retrofit discs on a Breezer 1 frame and biplane fork :twisted: just for the hell of it

Awesome build!
Do as YOU want.
I'm sure if disc brakes were common as they are now back then Yeti would have done this anyway.

This is a readily-reversible addition to a not-spectacularly-rare frame that'll make it more usable. I (still) don't see the problem.

Where do the naysayers stand on cutting up FROs to make C-26 repros out of?

MikeD":13zge63v said:
This is a readily-reversible addition to a not-spectacularly-rare frame that'll make it more usable. I (still) don't see the problem.

Where do the naysayers stand on cutting up FROs to make C-26 repros out of?

Are there people doing this?

Back