My '92 GT Zaskar - 20/09/12 update.

Re: Stem

Wold Ranger":35e1ggwr said:
Stem is indeed nearly period correct er if it were a steel frame that is, but Kore is the correct choice for a Zaskar.
As for modern parts working, they do, but not for very long! They are also heavy and very Ugly in the extreme, modern BB's will only last a tenth of a Shimano Sq taper at best, I'm not trying to rubbish the build, just feel you would get so much more out of it with full on retro!

Yes that amazes me too, the BB wear of newer stuff. I bought 2 bikes (95/96) from the first owner, both with the original BB in there. Spinning smooth as new!

Re: Stem

Wold Ranger":1wugnhzb said:
Stem is indeed nearly period correct er if it were a steel frame that is, but Kore is the correct choice for a Zaskar.
As for modern parts working, they do, but not for very long! They are also heavy and very Ugly in the extreme, modern BB's will only last a tenth of a Shimano Sq taper at best, I'm not trying to rubbish the build, just feel you would get so much more out of it with full on retro!

Totally dig the old stuff lasting longer quote I still have a UN71 BB on my Bonty that is coming up for 20 years old and is still as smooth as butter. I doubt the Hollowtech stuff will last nearly as long.

I actually prefer the look of modern tech, and in general it is much lighter than retro gear. I see loads of beautiful full on retro builds on here (Especially Zaskars), but for my build wanted to go in the retro-modern direction.
I warn you now it will get worse as I intend to supercede most of the older gear comps for brand new XTR, and the finishing kit will eventually be replaced with modern Carbon Fibre parts (If I can find a 27.0 seatpost in CF of course). :D

That rear U might also be replaced with a modern CNC BMX U, and I might go in the direction of BMX Canti levers as well. :twisted:

Possibly even 700c Zipp wheels (see my Bonty build) :LOL: :twisted: :cool:

'Flame suit ON'

LOL

merckx":2lymnp5m said:
thomson do a very nice 27.0 and their stems are superb. could be a nice option.

Agreed Thomson make some lush stuff, I run them on my hack Scott Elite Racing. Solid yet super light.

What forks are you running on this?

I fancy some rigids on mine and these certainly look the part!

Are they heavy?

Ian W":13jhvzei said:
What forks are you running on this?

I fancy some rigids on mine and these certainly look the part!

Are they heavy?

They are Gusset Jury SL's. Not massively heavy but you could get a lighter Carbon fork if weight was the decider.

I chose these forks because they looked good against the Zaskar tube shapes. :)

Cheers!

Not overly bothered about weight, just don't want them heavier than my bombers as they are quite weighty!

They should do nicely.

Hope you don't mind me shamelessly stealing your idea :oops: :LOL:

Ian W":bm3pvum3 said:
Cheers!

Not overly bothered about weight, just don't want them heavier than my bombers as they are quite weighty!

They should do nicely.

Hope you don't mind me shamelessly stealing your idea :oops: :LOL:

Go for it Ian and put some pictures up when you've got them fitted. :D

Back