Gerrard road bike?

Ziggy":224lpnet said:
Now I'm well aware that this is a long shot, but got to be worth a try!

Basically, my old man's Gerrard road bike has been hung from the rafters in the garage for years, waiting for me to do something about it... I've decided I've got to get it going soon, mainly 'cos it's a lovely thing & I don't have another road bike. But does anyone know anything about em?

From what I remember, Dad said it was from a local bike shop (/race team?) that went under when the owner (said Mr Gerrard I assume) got caught doing something naughty & spent some time behind bars. This'd have been somewhere in the East London area, & probably somewhere around 1970. I could be way out on any or all of these details, so I apologise profusely to Mr Gerrard if it turns out he wasn't a bad chap at all! Sadly, I've got no way of checking up on my 'facts'.

The bike itself's a nice looking frame, with mainly campag bits etc that I understand to have been pretty top notch at the time... I'll get some pics when I get it down.

So does this ring any bells for anyone? Like I said, I don't rate my chances, but a bit of a discussion'll get my interest up again & get the resto started!

Cheers :)

There is a Gerrard currently for sale on Ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gerrard-1950s...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item415a745084

I wonder if they bought the frames in ?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Dodgy info often posted by sellers on fleabay...did something like this for another forum member a week or so back - Gerrard was not a south or east London framebuilder; N12 tallies better with the archive posted here showing Gerrard a being a Barnet man.

I am confident he was NOT a builder, he was another bike shop owner buying frames from the trade (this one looks a little like a Claud or a Holdsworth) and"badging"as his own.

Boy this is an old thread!

Roadking.

Not old

Not old anymore and still interesting.
It would be good to see how it ended up.

Jamie

I think Shorter Rochford still-or did until recently-trade from this address: Shorter was in Barnet CC.

Barry Chick is connected...from memory with Alan Shorter.

Gerrards shop closed in the early 1960s(I think...).

Roadking.

roadking":1pxdukff said:
I think Shorter Rochford still-or did until recently-trade from this address: Shorter was in Barnet CC.

Barry Chick is connected...from memory with Alan Shorter.

Gerrards shop closed in the early 1960s(I think...).

Roadking.

Barry built many of Alan's frames including Alf Enger's but also Vic Edwards built for him as well. Barry has now retired from building and Vic has passed away. I know this because I was only speaking to Alan Rochford a couple of days ago. Small world innit!

I think there might have been a 'legal problem' at one time but after the shop closed I seem to think Ted G. went to live in Madeira and rode vets races out there.

Ted G was done for fraud.

His frames were outsourced - just happened to be speaking to a pal who's lived in the area all his life (in his late 60s now) - he remembers the shop.

As mentioned in my previous post frame probably a Claud or Holdsworth. Doubt any of the N. London builders would have had the capacity to supply the trade.

Roadking.

Back