What the devil is this?

SantaHul

Retro Guru
I borrowed a seventies Puch Super Sprint from a friend after my commuter died. It has down tube friction shifters but the rear mech kept gradually going up through the gears by itself, particularly over bumps and things so I concluded the shifter needed tightening up. I'm not very familiar with road bikes but the shifters on it are tightened via a screw with a hexagonal head and around the head they have a plastic bracket (pictured) that looks kind of like a wingnut and allows you to tighten the shifters with your fingers. The problem is they're both cracked, which I wasn't aware of, and the moment I tried to tighten one of them (whilst cycling) it just crumbled off.

WP_000493.jpg

The guy who owns the bike plans to sell it as soon as he gets it back so obviously I'd like to try and replace the broken part but I can't figure out what this thing is or where I could get another. I took it to my LBS and they didn't have a clue but they're never been very good with old bikes.

Any suggestions? I just need to know what to google for.

I think that is from an old Simplex gear lever such as the Prestige. Like you say, the hex shape fits around a hex headed screw that secures the lever to its boss either on a clip or the frame. Acts like a wingnut though for the life of me I can't see why they didn't just supply a wingnut in the first place!

I would have thought that an ordinary slot head bolt would do the job - although it may be a weird French thread! Probably metric.

Frankly I'd stuff on a big washer and a Nyloc nut. It won't keep loosening either! You could also but a wingnut from B&Q. While they won't be exactly right, they won't be $30 for 10 either. :shock:

im currently rooting through my old spares boxes
having a bit of a clear out if i have any will let you know

hi mate
i found one in my spares box . pm me your address
and i will stick it in the post
think its off an old huret lever its a bit gnarly and looks like some ones
adjusted it with a pair of pliers but its intact and the screw is with it so will probably get you out of a hole
i made a mental note i need to get out more
wtf any one would want a bag of 10 is beyond me!
cheers
bowser

My Huret ones have these. They act like a friction washer as well as a wing nut so you can adjust the friction on the shifters. When they're in good condition they work fine but when they get worn and oily they have a habit of not gripping.

Back