mavic cosmic creak

thiscocks

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I just put some good condition mavic cosmic 40mm aero wheels on my steel racer. They are the aluminium ones with 16 flat spokes with a straight pull front hub and traditional rear. The hubs seem perfect (spin better than my new training wheels) and the cassette is tightened up but when riding I am getting a constant metallic creaking noise from the rear.

The best I could describe it is the noise you get if you pull on a spoke which is tight over another. I thought it was the cassette (which is the original ta one which came with the wheels) but then noticed when off the bike when I push on the seat stay repeatedly I get the same creak. It sounds spoke related but they all seem tight and the wheel is very true.

Is it something anyone else has come across with these wheels? I guess it is something I might have to just put up with...

Cheers for any ideas.

Are you sure its the wheels and not a loose crank or BB ? I have the same wheels with no creaking. Is the wheel in tight I would pop it out and clean teh drop out etc, just to make sure you ahve agood fit.

Thanks, ill try cleaning the drop outs but pretty sure it was all in tight enough. Pretty sure it isn't bb or cranks as there is no noise similar with my other wheels on...

There's not a lot can go wrong with the original cosmics.

Only things I'd add to what's already been said are

1) Check that the axle is tight and the freehub not rocking back and forth
2) Spoke tension. They need to be very tight.

Thanks. Cleaned and greased drop outs and skewer and noise still there. Think it must be spoke tension. Anyone know of a decent place around oxfordshire which could check the wheel over and set the correct tensions?

Mavic wheels

Have a look very carefully around the spoke holes on the rim to see if there are any hair line cracks, as the spokes are straight pull, there is a lot more loading. try a bit of WD40 around the nipples it might help one might be dry ??

I've heard that some Cosmics and Ksyriums suffer from creaky skewers, try varying the tightness of the skewer. I also suggest trying some skewers from another set of wheels to rule the skewers out :)

try with another wheel first to rule out whether its wheel or other.

broken frame? I once had a similar sound and found my rockhopper frame had a broken frame, not noticed till i looked really carefully.

Thanks for the help. I swapped skewers and the noise was still there. I pulled on a couple of the spokes and noticed on a couple I get the same noise and some seem to have less tension than others so I am now sure it is the spokes.

Are the spokes on this wheel harder to adjust than on a traditional wheel? I just don't have much faith in my lbs!

Think its sorted. Tensions of spokes are fine but it was the dry and slightly corroded nipples that seemed to be causing the creaking. LF2 sprayed on all and seems to be ok....

Back