Cyclo-cross tire history information solicitation

Thank you

I very much appreciate the responses. Being able to see these advertisements and get help from others in this forum is very, very helpful. What sizes were available during this time (1930s - 1980)for "clincher" tires? 27" wheels? 650 B? Most ads either didn't list the available sizes or wrote something like, "available in the usual sizes".

Dourdoigne was where Andre Dugast began working. He later left the company, and founded his own tire manufacturing company.

The Clement Grifo was a great tire that was introduced in the 1950s. Does anyone remember a non-file tread, cyclo-cross tire that was manufactured prior to that?

Thanks again.

Crikey! Us cross riders really are spoilt for choice these days, and the rise of the MTB has helped no end in shaping tyre design (although I have the first edition of Simon Burney's CX "bible" at home and Barum were starting to head in a distinctly knobbly direction anyway by the late 80s). Out of those old adverts, only the Kowalit "QV" looks anything like a modern CX tyre.

Clinchers - they seem to have come on to the CX scene in the 80s, with the Vredestein Campo (Vredestein being one of the CX clincher pioneers) and Michelin Mud (the original bright green type) being very popular in the early Noughties and even making a big impact on the international stage (I think Tim Johnson and Alison Dunlap may have picked up Worlds' medals on green Muds??). Things have since swung back in favour of tubs as full-carbon tub-only rims have gained popularity, which is all well and good if you've the money to splash out on Dugast, FMB or Tufo tubs at almost £150 a pair (or if your sponsor underwrites that cost!!). Anyway, I'm meandering OT now so will stop ranting....

David

I used Vredestein clincher tyres. Quite narrow and good in mud as they cut through although being narrow you had to inflate them quite hard to avoid impact punctures.

Like you say, these young'uns today, don't know they're born. I remember when we had to stick lumps of rubber onto bald road tyres etc. etc. etc.......................... :roll: ;)

Cyclo X tyres

Dont get onto the subject of making our own shoes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lads today have it sooooooooo easy

we had to make our own shoes, spend hours drilling holes in everything to save weight,
there was no sports drinks or pasta.
No thermal clothing or gloves, used to wrap jour feet in plastic bags to keep warm.

Re: Cyclo X tyres

orbeas":3dp4d2x7 said:
Dont get onto the subject of making our own shoes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, "proper" off-road shoes is a recent thing largely stemming from the MTB movement, and even pros of comparitively recent times such as Steve Douce have recounted tales of having to piece together their own CX shoes from off-the-shelf footwear back in the day.

Mankes me very grateful I came into the sport this side of the '90s rather than any earlier!

David

cyclo cross tyres

Mankes me very grateful I came into the sport this side of the '90s rather than any earlier!

Dave B , you missed the classic years of cyclo cross, and all the classic courses especially in Lans and Yorks.

and dont forget there were no clip-less pedals in those days, so using toe clips and straps, shoe design was a 'black art'

Old Ned":2q9m2v7t said:
I used Vredestein clincher tyres. Quite narrow and good in mud as they cut through although being narrow you had to inflate them quite hard to avoid impact punctures.

Never had the pleasure of using Vredesteins though I always fancied giving them a whirl. Amongst clinchers of recent years, Hutchinson Pro Cross were good, still not convinced by the black version of Michelin Muds, Schwalbe CX Pro great if a bit too narrow sometimes. Panaracer Cindercross good but the rubber didn't seem overly hard-wearing. Currently on rare and sadly discontinued Nokians and they've been excellent so far. My first ever CX tyres - Vittoria Tigre Cross; complete pants, no real grip, swapped to Hutchinsons just before I started racing.

David

Re: cyclo cross tyres

orbeas":uo4ym0l5 said:
and dont forget there were no clip-less pedals in those days

Indeed - I'd be lost without Time ATACs and can never speak too highly of them. Easily the best pedal I've ever used, on the road and off it.

David

Back