Airborne 2000 Lucky Strike DB Rebuild

I rebuilt a 1999 Lucky Strike last year, recreated all the decals from pictures of a 2003 I used to have. If you want them let me know, you'll likely have to find a vinyll printer but they usually dont charge much since everything is done.

That would be great if you could, much appreciated :cool: :cool: I will drop you a pm with my email details :D

I got the bottom bracket fitted last night with the ally spacers. They fit better than the standard plastic ones and didn’t need centralising on the cup before tightening (the Shimano ones had a noticeable amount of clearance).

I had already faced the BB and chased out the threads so it went together perfect / as expected, the only problem was cleaning the anti seize of anything and everything in the kitchen :LOL: time will tell how long the BB will last, reports on the net seem to vary considerably :?

I thought that the coating might get damaged around the grooves where the tool drives (other external BB’s seem to have this machined after so you don’t notice as it’s already silver) but it survived without a single mark :cool:

DSC06051.jpg

WD :D

Well I now have some correct graphics thanks to RMIopteng and I am in the process of discussing with my graphics man how best to print them, but in the meantime, he has cut me these :

DSC06064.jpg

As he is quite near to me he let me take them home before he taped them so I could radius the edges of all the letters to try and keep them stuck down a little longer :D time will tell ... :?

I ended up with matt black as I thought it would suit the build best :D this type of text font has been a long time favourite of mine :

DSC06069.jpg

But they will stay covered until it is built :D

I had some spare flags from the Marin build and I thought a pair of them suited it to :D I know they should be Chinese though ... :LOL:

DSC06078.jpg

The seat post sticker is actually a USE original :

DSC06075.jpg

The alien skin is sticky stuff - first one went on a bit pissed and it was hard to get off after only being on for five mins :shock:

I love it.....and you stuff, is always pristine... :shock: like the choice of decal colour too..... :cool:

Thank you :cool:

I have been away for a week and came back to a few nice packages :cool:

I didn’t want the king headset getting lonely :oops: :

DSC06166.jpg

Carbon ‘fender’ for the SID’s :

DSC06163.jpg

I have asked about them on the forum before - they are supposedly quite useful but we will see … At least it looks nice in the sun :LOL: very fine / strange weave for CF :

DSC06172.jpg

Mavic spoke guard :

DSC06177.jpg

I had always looked on spoke guards as a bit ‘gay’ and promptly removed them :LOL: (sorry if you have one :oops:) but ally spokes and the fact that this type is quite well hidden has made me think otherwise …

I believe Mavic supplied these as standard with all there ally spoked wheel sets. It’s only to stop the chain jamming and chewing the spokes if it jumps off the big sprocket, not to stop the derailleur jamming in the spokes like the big frisbees I remember. It hides itself quite well, even behind a 27T :

DSC06185.jpg

DSC06182.jpg

DSC06187.jpg

Well I have finished the Bear Valley :shock: so the focus can shift a little to the Airborne :cool:

I picked up a shorter stem for it :

DSC06317.jpg

It's a Clarke Kent (I think), really nicely welded but the dressing up is a bit poor :?

DSC06313.jpg

But it doesn't really matter as I am in the process of giving it a bit of a smooth over and then I will blast it to match the other bits :D

I will write the process up on here as I have had a few pm's asking questions and I promised an update ages ago :oops:

I read up on rebuilding the Mavic free hub as I might as well do it whilst it is off and they supposedly need it quite often :? Only one special tool needed which is to adjust the bearing preload - once the wheel is clamped in the frame :

DSC06405.jpg

Mavic also spec a mineral oil and their brand is notoriously difficult to get hold of but a net search revealed that singer sewing machine oil is a great substitute and stupidly cheap :cool:

I suspected the wheels had very little use but I was genuinely surprised what I found when I stripped it :shock: these photos are as opened ...

Zero wear, not even a polished area in the body or any scores / seal marks on the bush :

DSC06393.jpg

Clean grease :

DSC06398.jpg

Zero muck :

DSC06399.jpg

The only thing that really needed cleaning was the back of the free hub where it sits (hidden) inside the hub body which had light surface rust which cleaned off easily with GT85 and a brass brush :D

The hubs are very easy to rebuild ;-)

Crossmax, Dura-Ace & King :

DSC06404.jpg

Question on lock rings - the ally Dura-Ace lock ring had a thin shim on the back. Are these needed for assembly or because it is ally ? :?

Don't hold your breath, look how long the Marin went on for ... :oops: :LOL:

I need a spacer to run 9 speed shimano on the crossmax hub :? I got the torque wrench out the other night to do the axle and locking and the cassette won't tighten properly - a bit of research suggests I need a 1.75mm spacer to go on the hub before the cassette so everything locks up correctly :D

Back