1997 Mountain Cycle CXS

Nice! :cool: There's been a few cool Mohos popping up on here recently.

Great colour too - one to watch methinks!
(Go with Maguras ;) )

Congrats!
i was throwing quite high bid there for my friend, but bids from abroad were blocked :D
It was a steal for that price.. You basicaly got it for the price of that headset :shock:
Looking forward seeing the buildup.
also, check out my 2 Mohos :cool:
cheers
jan

Cheers Jan, love your CXS build, believe me, I've looked at it several times since I won the frame :) Also looking forward to seeing what you do with the rigid build, that is quite a set of parts you have assembled.

Nothing quite so exotic for me though ;) I hung on my JT Maguras, and I rather like the contrast in colours. I think they will stay.

dsc3643nef.jpg

dsc3642nef.jpg

That NEEDS those RAC forks ;)

Theres a lad on here (not Eck) who has quite a few San Andeas's

Maybe he would have something to allow a rear disk ? :?

Its gonna look luvverrly though :cool:

G

Do you have any experience with helix shock?
I looks we have the same one. i was wondering before if its ok for me weight wise.. i never had full susser before so i dont have a clue...
this is detail of what is writen on the coil spring. I have 80 kg

cheers
jan

Attachments

• helix.jpg
    helix.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 3,713
Hi Jan, my only previous experience was with a newer Fox air shock, never used springs, and no experience with Helix.

Mines looks like a non original spring though - it's marked 'Fox 500 x 160' and 86 kgs here :oops:

Try it I guess, and if it doesn't feel right then either get a new spring or possibly a newer air only shock - added benefit of saving a bit weight too, but eye to eye measurement looks a little bit unusual - I make it 155mm.

Any idea what this little knob down the botttom does?

dsc3644wee.jpg

Is it for locking out the shock?

yup. I'm pretty sure it's for locking it out - you may be able to attach a cable to it for a remote thumb shifter on your handle bar. The '97 Trek Y-50 came with an air only version of this shock.

I've got the next model down from that shock (coil + air but with no lock out) on a bare frame buried around here somewhere and I'm pretty sure I have a user manual for it somewhere too. I'll have a look and if I can find it I'll scan it in. From memory you need to match the air pressure in the shock in PSI to your weight in pounds - like most rear shocks. The original springs were progressively wound.

That's the compression adjuster. As stated, you can run a remote cable to it to lock the shock out. The knurled knob is rebound.

I think I have instructions for burping the shock in my toolbox. I will look. It involves submerging the shock in transmission fluid.

Oh, and DO NOT CYCLE THE SHOCK THROUGH IT'S TRAVEL WITH NO AIR IN THE CHAMBER.

Stratos shock manual

Attachments

• 100_2744.JPG
    100_2744.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,214
  • 100_2743.JPG
    100_2743.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,214
  • 100_2742.JPG
    100_2742.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 1,214
  • 100_2740.JPG