Tapatalk / Forum Reader(s)

halaburt

Retro Guru
This has been brought up before here, but at John's suggestion I wanted to bring it up again...

For users of smartphones (and even tablets), reading forums like this one can be challenging and frustrating. But now... as the ads say: "There's an App for that!". Actually a bunch probably. One that appears to have emerged as a front-runner in all this is called Tapatalk ( http://www.tapatalk.com ).

It works on iPhones/iPads, Android and Blackberry. On the Apple platform it's US$3.

Forum owners have to be on particular versions of particular forum software and specifically activate Tapatalk for use with their forum. Forums currently available on Tapatalk include:
- MTBR.com (which includes the VRC forum)
- MTB-News.de - IBC Mountainbike Forum

I've been using Tapatalk on both the iPhone and iPad and it's VERY impressive. The interface is good and very usable and the speed is impressive.

I understand that RetroBike's current forum software version isn't compatible, but a future upgrade would open the possibility of using this. Perhaps if others weighed in with their thoughts we could see this here in the not-to-distant future?

Thanks for posting that up Geoff.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this. Tapatalk isn't compatible with the version of phpbb we're on. However we do need to upgrade at some point so if people think tapatalk is good I'll certainly consider it. Am going to give it a try myself now...

that would be a good idea .

I am limited to retrobike on the blackberry when I am at work , and it can be a pain .

not sure if it is a good idea for my productivity though :LOL:

+1 for Tapatalk, I visit a few other forums that utilise it and it speeds things up nicely.

It's £1.79 on Android....

I've never really had a problem looking at the site on my phone ( a Desire HD btw and a Magic before that ).

How does it make the experience better? From the screenshots it just looks like it makes stuff less detailed?

just got my new atrix and the site as it is is i have no problems with, as i now have a bigger screen, but an app would be handy, like over at xda-developers.com have

I use it on a couple but only if they are cluttered normally. Doesn't offer me all moderator functionality on ones where I am staff though. May help with longer posts when typing them in on here as once text has filled the edit box it becomes unusable on Safari on the iPhone.

Back