Raleigh Sports c 1932

chambo34

Retro Guru
They don't come much more retro than this recent find;
A Raleigh 'Sports Model' c 1932, light it aint though not really heavy strangely the rod brakes work ok as does the 1932 Sturmey Archer K type hub...it looks tidier in the pictures than in reality and I think a few things are wrong like the front brake stirrup which is a Phillips and should I believe be a Raleigh item;
2ymd55t.jpg

2hib475.jpg

2uq0tjl.jpg

2l4br4.jpg

5nt9mu.jpg

Looks awesome!

This is my 1950 Raleigh Lenton Sports, I'm planning to do a 10mile TT on it when I get it sorted :LOL:

I like the sloping top tube, it's a 1930s lo-pro time trial machine! Looks very nice, especially the handlebars but those brake levers look a bit suicidal.

Mark.

your right it looks fast stood still...yet to try it out yet as too busy getting ready for hols tomorrow!
I'll try and find out more about it when I get back then I'll get it as near to original as possible...a repaint is definately on the cards ...watch this space!

Rode it today ...did about 3 quite scary miles, firstly the steering was a bit off also rear wheel is out of true in the vertical plane so that the brakes work then dont then do etc etc front also but no where near as much...I adjusted the head bearings as they were too tight and it's a bit better now though I reckon a new headset will be needed really which I may have...as for the wheels well I jave a pair of Raliegh stainless rims in 40/32H virtually unsed so I might get the rear hub laced into the 40H and use the front as it's a proper Raleigh hub anyway.
Riding postion is pretty good really but bars are narrow by todays standards though grips are really comy as is the Dunlop 'rubber' saddle, gear work very well indeed with no slips now I have adjusted them..

That is incredible, I have never seen anything like it!
Please keep us updated on the restoration, I for one really want to see this finished!

Back