'80 Carlton 531 rebuild project

lastpubrunner":9prvc8k5 said:
Old Ned":9prvc8k5 said:
You've done a good job on getting the brakes and gears back to condition. They looked a bit far gone initially but it's surprising what can be achieved with a bit of work and elbow grease.

Did you say 'decals made' and 'Dad' in the same sentence? Interesting.

I'd be very much interested in knowing just how I might achieve the same results; how did you clean them up so effectively ?

Autosol ? . . . . . . . and elbow grease ?

Sorry for the late reply. I started of with a toothbrush and some warm soapy water, then I realised I could add white spirit to the mix as the soap in the water would break the white spirit down and allow it to mix in with the water (rather than it floating on the water). And so thats what I done :) Scrubbed the components with the toothbrush and giving it a quck dunk and scrub every now and again.

HTH :)

I still havn't remove the bloody seat post. The whole bike needs a respray to so I'll try the vinigar/cola trick, if that fails then I'll whip outthe blow lamp. I just need to get it ready to paint as soon as it's stripped and I can't be doing with it rusting on me.

Red Carlton Clubman

Gary_b and Nob

Very interesting, as I also have a red Carlton Clubman from the same era. It's being repainted, and the fellow doing the decals needed help with the typeface as mine was in much worse condition than the one you're rebuilding, so thanks for the photos!

I'd post pictures, but apparently I need 5 posts first. This is #1.

Iain

i have shimano 600 brakes on my old boneshaker. they scrubbed up very well too :) that's a cracking old carlton ... have fun with the restore!

Hi Gary. what did you do to get your brakes that shiny? I want to get my parts shiney as new again but have no idea :?

p4pb6871272.jpg

p4pb6875463.jpg

Thanks.[/img]

Kinetic-UK":2rrde2i4 said:
Hi Gary. what did you do to get your brakes that shiny? I want to get my parts shiney as new again but have no idea :?

Thanks.[/img]

hi kinetic, i'm not sure about the dulled brakes, but your shiny chrome pedals will come up nicely if you rub them with aluminium foil dipped in water. use a hard wax polish to shine up once the rust is gone. this has worked a treat on the succession of second hand bikes i have sourced for the kids.

Re:

Hi all - first post and I appreciate that this thread is almost 5 years old however I stumbled across it via a Google image search that drew my attention because it's exactly the same colour / size / year as my own 1980 Carlton Clubman frame and forks that I received when I was 15 as my main Christmas present from my parents.

I literally dragged mine out of the back of our garage this afternoon having not ridden it since my university days (so that'll be last ridden in 198:cool: with a view to creating something I can start to ride again once it's in better shape. I've been doing spinning classes (strangely addictive, so much so that I now 'give them my all' three times a week) at the gym for the past 12 months, but not ridden anything on the road since my mountain bike was stolen 3 - 4 years ago... Until today.

Having put some air in the very perished tyres (tub on the rear, narrow profile high pressure tyre on the front), I went for a quick spin up and down the long drive that forms a part of our housing development and was reminded how comfortable this bike is, despite its current sorry state. I'm also four or five inches taller than I was just aged 15, so I'm going to need to invest in some new bits, even if I'm planning to keep my old Brookes leather saddle.

Like the OP, I'm thinking this would make sense as a fixed wheel bike and ideally I'm going to source some slightly wider profile wheels as I would like it to be more versatile than just a pure road bike. Maybe I'm mad, but if I don't try then I'll never find out!

I'll set up a separate thread to chart my progress and take some photos along the way.

Back