V-brake boss standard other than M8 and M10?

karloff70

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi chaps,

Ripping my hair out trying to get my Wild Hare on the trail and fitting a back break has become an issue. I need V brake bosses. Easy, I thought. Only it turns out M8 ones are way too small and M10's are a little to big to fit.... :?: :?: :?:

Is there another standard, or is the Psycle Werks just totally awkward and had its very own bosses that wouldn't conform to anything else?

red_riviera":18esbjfu said:
there are 2 common thread pitches for M10 - 1 mm and 1.25mm, I think

Ahh!! That might be it! As the M10 does look like the right size, but won't take.....definitely got my M's right......so I need the other thread type....jeeeesus, where do I find that? This bike is not good for my nervous system.....

If there are two different pitches for M10, used on brake studs, your LBS should know. I would have thought just one would be standard though...

Well, I tried M10's frm my Pace RC36's and someone else's random RST M10's. Both same thing, wouldn't thread.

LBS is so booked up they told me even to swap bushes on my shock would have to wait until friday next week. Which reads "I don't think I'll trouble them in a hurry and get a tool to do it myself"....might ask to see if they can order though...

You need a decent LBS...
I was looking for bosses for my old Rond forks, and asked at one of my LBSs . They pulled out a tray of various sizes, and I was told to help myself, but leave the ti ones... :cool: Apparently, when upgrading to discs, people like the nasty brake studs to be removed.
Whereabouts are you in London?

That's exactly the style my local LBS has been up til now....very cool and helpful indeed!! Just pop in the back to mechanic man and he'd pull out that stuck bb or find you some little stuff on the spot....but they've got him booked up like a cottonpicker now, so he's under pressure to kick out the booked in stuff on time and less cool for on the spot stuff.

I'm in Twickenham. From trying, this LBS (Moore's in Twick) is by far the best one around.....close by at least. And there are a few.

Phone around. There must be one nearby that's happy to spend 5 mind having a rummage with you. It'll be a sale afterall, rather than workshop time...
If not, take a road trip out to Beyond Mountain bikes in Cranleigh , just soulth of Guildford. They're open tomorrow, and there's some excellent riding locally. ;)

I'll definitely phone around, but won't have time to get back on it til Tuesday now. Will check that shop one day.....ideally packing a ready to ride bike for those local trails......

Back