My 1996 DBR Axis R

Thanks all.

The original forks disappeared years ago after I put some 97 Judy XC's on shortly after getting it. They were great but the outers have corroded a lot now so I have put the P2's on as a next best option. (Bought on here last week :D )

These were such lovely looking bikes. I distinctly remember the now defunct bike shop in Prestwick Road, Ayr that had one of these hanging in the window for well over a year. How I wanted / ogled that bike. I eventually got my 1997 Apex (same frame I think), but I always loved the paint job on this.

Cool. I liked the old Diamondbacks. Axis, Apex,... nice and sleek bikes, not those fat aluminium tubes. And they were quite exclusive in Germany. At least in my region not many retailers sold them, dont know why.

They climb like crazy, and they are really hardcore... no suspension... just rigid steel :D

Unfortunately i now need another bike, where the seat position is not as stretched as with the Axis. The geometry of the frame on the Axis is almost like a street racer.

Saddle on my Axis is almost 30 cm higher than the handlebar.... too much for my back now... sigh! :roll:

ozpete":bxgc4na3 said:
Nice, I have a '96 Axis (not the R version) which is the same colours, except for silver on the seat stays, not white. Mine is also made from a different tube set with different drop outs. Wondered why they would go to that bother for basically the same model in different markets?
I think in some markets (US?) in 97 (perhaps only that year) some of the Axis models used Ritchey Logic tubing? And some used True Temper TT-Lite (UK). There was probably still the titanmium Axis, too?

This one has True Temper Tubes. But is there that much of a difference between the tubes?

It has what i wanted most back then when i bought it: SRAM X-Ray-Shifters. The GT Avalanche i had before had Shimano Shifters and they were beginning to wear out just after one year.... The X-Rays are still just fine, after almost 16 yrs :shock:

biker":1z12iu94 said:
This one has True Temper Tubes. But is there that much of a difference between the tubes?
From what I understand, TT-Lite is an evolution of the OX line of tubesets that True Temper produced. That seems to be the case for a few reasons - where OX was previously used, and then in favour of TT-Lite (both in Diamond Back's line-ups, plus other makes that used them, eg Trek), and the varying descriptions used where OX was (custom triple butted) and where TT-Lite was (custom triple butted / custom short butted).

I don't know much about Ritchey Logic tubesets, though. What I do know is that TT-Lite framesets were pretty light, for steel.

I have an OX framed Diamond Back (91 Axis) and 2 TT-Lite framed Diamond Backs (2 x 95 Apex), plus an AVR framed 91 Apex, so have reasonable access to compare them both on weight and feel.

Back