Can anyone tell me more about this Carlton?

Hallsy

Devout Dirtbag
Another 'help me' thread! I'm still trying to find a vintage road bike/frame project and have seen a Carlton bike advertised close by.

The pictures aren't great, but from looking around on a Carlton site, I'm thinking it could be a Clubman. Any ideas?

$%28KGrHqJ,%21lwE3JGSyKeqBN4QCuNK,Q%7E%7E_12.JPG

$%28KGrHqIOKi4E20Yf5Q1LBN4QCt8i%21Q%7E%7E_14.JPG

$%28KGrHqQOKpkE26j0LLhJBN4QC3pcSg%7E%7E_14.JPG

The seller mentions it has round section front forks. Would these be original? What was the difference between oval and round section forks? Apart from the obvious!

I asked for a serial number and the seller quoted a 4 digit number, no refernce of a prefix letter, so not sure on age either. He said it had a Carlton, Worksop enamel badge, so that puts it before the Raleigh take over?

Any info apprectiated :)

Ooos, I thought I had put this in the 'Retro Classic Road Forum' - sorry!!

Any chance a mod could move it for me :oops:

Carlton.

Carlton still built bicycles after the Raleigh takeover(in 1960), theWorksop factory closed in 1980.

The image of the head tube is small but lugs look like the Capella which was introduced in 1960.

The seat tube"badge"is not correct, and neither I suspect is the paint original.

Round and Oval forks...round are all round, oval start oval at the crown and change shape gradually to the dropout.

Roadking.

Thanks for the info Roadking.

I thought that the bike looked similar to this 1959 Clubman, even down to the colour scheme and badge on the seat tube?

59-a1.jpg

http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/mybikes/59clubman.htm

It certainly looks very similar anyway.

Were these type of bikes considered tourers or race bikes? The fork rake looks fairly steep, but the large mudguards make it look more like a tourer to me. I must add, I know nothing about road frames, I've been into MTB for years..... :roll:

With regards the forks, I understood the difference in profile, I was wondering more if one type was better suited to a certain type of ride? i.e. is one profile stronger, more rigid, lighter, etc - or was it just a frame builder preference/aesthetics?

Been doing a bit of reading and gather that round forks are stronger laterally and so tended to be used on track bikes, and oval forks are stronger front to back to resist braking forces on road bikes. It seems that some road bikes did still have round forks, but I'm doubting these ones are original.

Also shows what I know about road bike geometry, I read today that track bikes have slacker head angles and more fork rake to give slower steering. I thought a race bike would be more twitchy, but wasn't considering velodrome use!!

As I say, I'm openly a newb to the dark side!!d

Does the bike look worth a look in general for a budget project?

What about it being an early sixties Carlton Catalina, I believe these had oval to round forks, which maybe the answer. Adding to the fork question I believe it is 'biker' fashion, a bit of costs, and supplier of materials ( i.e Reynolds ) that have influenced fork construction. Both my road Claud Butlers ( 1942 and 49 ) have round section forks, a 1950 Carlton I have has 'D' section forks, but in general, I believe round section forks fade away during the sixties, unless you know otherwise ! Terry

The Capella lugs date it to 59-c1967.

Possibly a Catalina or Clubman as the gents have suggested.

Well worth restoring. Keep us posted on how you get on!

Back