Just Come across this im stunned

any123

Retrobike Rider
What on earth is this i found in my local bike shop.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

thanks andy

I've no idea but I'd like to know too, looks like the fork does the shifting but it doesn't look too strong - is that an indexed shifter too?

Top find! Tell me it s now in your possession?

The colour appears to be ruby flam, the same as mine ;0)

Head tube and seat tube pictures will confirm which model..... Looks lovely though!

stedlocks":1woyg88z said:
Top find! Tell me it s now in your possession?

The colour appears to be ruby flam, the same as mine ;0)

Head tube and seat tube pictures will confirm which model..... Looks lovely though!

It belongs to one of the customers and he has took it in for a service. and yes that is the first index gearing system. i was shocked when i saw it changing gear. it is one crude system, but it worked perfect.

thanks andy

I think you should read that article Rob, very popular and the standard for many years by the looks of it.

those things are as rare as a preston north end home win!
never seen one in the flesh before

You are looking at the well known Super Champion (Osgear) with the wrong tension roller, and probably the wrong tension arm. Absolutely the opposite to indexed.
These were used late 1930's to about 1950. To change gear the lever was moved as far past the next position as necessary, and you sometimes got the next gear. You will see the very short cable movment is also against it. Superceded when it was realised that the chain needs to be fed on to the cogs in line. Killed off by the Simplex TdF.

I have ridden road races with these and the Campagnolo Paris Roubaix back pedal change.

Back