Old fra

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I'd like to pick your brains.

I''ve recklessly just acquired (unseen) a particularly tatty bike frame - but structurally sound.

The seller believed it might be a Sun Super Vitesse frame.
He reckoned that he'd had a Sun Vitesse that had a similar frame number, but started with just a 'V' whereas mine starts with a SV.

Does anyone know anything about the Vitesse or Super Vitesse ? Where do they sit, in the hierarchy of Sun bikes. (I've heard of the Manx TT & the Manxman.)

He says that it will need a headclip headset on it. I believe that the races are smaller and slide into the headtube which bulge at the ends to accomodate them. Hard to come by apparently - have I made a bad buy ?. :D

Would it be possible/advisable to get the ends reamed off and put a normal headset on ?

Were headclip headsets usually fitted to 'lower end' bikes or merely to 'older' bikes ? - the seller thought that the frame was early 50s, but I wonder if it is older than that ?

I realise that I've possibly/probably made a crazy purchase, but it was very cheap, so I couldn't resist the challenge.

Ta. for any advice.

Hi, Too start with the 'S' indicates 1951/2, and within a 1951 Sun Catalogue is the Super Vitesse. It is a plain 531 frame with Sun's own cutaway lugs and 70 degree seat angle, 71 degree head angle, sitting under the Manx TT, Wasp, and Manxman. Sun cycles do go cheap, but between the mid thiries and mid fifties they were a good mid range manufacturer. The headset is potentially a hiccup, but be patient, either a full set will turn up or I believe you can use the cupped bearings ( again if you can get them ) with normal spacers and headset lock nuts. Good luck and keep with it. Terry

Back