Internal geared hub on modern full suss?

I fitted a Rohloff to my trusty 97 Heckler 4" full sus rig: used the Rohloff tensioner, never dropped the chain.

rohler4.JPG

And though I love it as a technical marvel, the Rohloff Heckler did not cut it for me.

For one all the comparisons that say it's "a bit" heavier and "a bit" more drag, well, it just did not work for me, I never lost the sense of being held back.
One of my riding buddies is on a Rohloff as his only MTB, a hardtail and he loves it. So I keep wondering whether there was something not right mith mine. But then I sold it to another mate who owned another Rohloff and he is not complaining. YMMV

And second, doubling the unsprung mass of the rear wheel messed with my suspension set-up. At least beyond the tuning range of the 2 dampers I tried, most notable was a lack of rebound control. There is a rythm section littered with whoopdidoo MX style bumps that is a delight on the standard Heckler but I never found the flow on the Rohloff version, weird. So if you want to use it in a suspension rig, I'd recommend getting your rear damper customised to handle the Rohloff.

Does look super sweet...
This might not be a good idea from what you have said.

Maybe i'll have to get a decent wheelset and perhaps get some good shifters, maybe XTR or something.

Back