Rechroming pitting limit?

tee-one

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone got an idea how pitted somthing can be before the chrome just looks crap?

Ive got a pair of steel mid 50's dunlop racing rims i need chroming for a raleigh clubman build.. But they are a bit pitted, The chome lifted and they have had a chance to start to go a little rough..

Pics of before and after would be great? Just so i can get some guaging on worthwhile or not...

Id post pics of said rims if i hadnt snapped the usb port in my camera :roll:

Are they pot metal rims or steel? A good chrome shop will grind down or tin in on any pitting so that the finished job is perfect. If it's got a lot of pitting be prepared to pay loads. The people that do this type of work are very good at what they do and the work is very time consuming and many that do this work even consider themselves artists in this type of repair work.

Oh thats interesting i didnt know they could fill the pitting so to speak...

The reason i ask is that i bought a large quantity of freshly chromed raleigh chopper rims a few years back, And she said she had to get so many done as they couldnt get a nice finish due to rust on some.... and the pitting was still fairly obvious thru the chrome...

Pretty sure they are proper steel too..

Cheers, Dan.

Bit far from you but close to me. RCJ Metal Finishers of Hoddesdon, Herts.
tel 01920 467931 Ask for John Mayhew.

They do a great job, even down to not over polishing any type on the rims so it can still be read once plated. John rides a Hetchins and has a few classic motorbikes so knows what people want.

If I can be of help dropping off or collecting let me know.

Steve

Back