Internal geared hub on modern full suss?

FST4RD":18077i1h said:
lol

Mines 140mm rear travel (5 and a bit inches?).
Was looking at the Alfine since they are so much cheaper then the Rohloff. Is it worth spending all that extra to get the Rohloff?

Rohloff is the best of the best, so if you've got the cash, yes it is worth it. And with 14 gears you'd have enough range for most situations.

5ecfb5b8d2.png

speedbild2.jpg

That last pic makes me want to run for the hills.

I know they are good and reliable, but the ins and outs of working on it were you stuck somewhere, just does not bear thinking about.

FST4RD":hnsxdf5b said:
Is it a good idea? :LOL:
or should i just stick with all the moving parts/gears and go for a standard wheelset?
What are peoples thoughts?

Rohloff anytime!
Yep, they cost sh#t loads, but they'll last a long, very long time, it's the "fit and forget" that made me go for one 4 years ao and I'll never go back to mechs.
For a DH bike, get a proper tensioner and double chainquards at the front and you'll be fine.
cheers Roy

yo-eddy":1lnq2b1m said:
FST4RD":1lnq2b1m said:
Is it a good idea? :LOL:
or should i just stick with all the moving parts/gears and go for a standard wheelset?
What are peoples thoughts?

Rohloff anytime!
Yep, they cost sh#t loads, but they'll last a long, very long time, it's the "fit and forget" that made me go for one 4 years ao and I'll never go back to mechs.
For a DH bike, get a proper tensioner and double chainquards at the front and you'll be fine.
cheers Roy

How does the Rolhoff hub, tensioner, shorter chain, 2 less front chain rings and no derailuers compare in weight to a cluster, 9 speed rear hub, 2 derailuers, shifters etc?

Now we are talking! I am waiting for integrated BB gearing to become cost effective, the ideal system.

Every now and then I find myself drawing ideas for improved systems, and am reminded why the system we have today has been so long lived.

The time is ripe for a revolution though, and internal gearing makes so much sense for mountain bikes especially. Can't wait!

highlandsflyer":1rlsmf2i said:
Now we are talking! I am waiting for integrated BB gearing to become cost effective, the ideal system.

Every now and then I find myself drawing ideas for improved systems, and am reminded why the system we have today has been so long lived.

The time is ripe for a revolution though, and internal gearing makes so much sense for mountain bikes especially. Can't wait!

I agree, that's why I'm looking into this option.
Easier, quieter and less external moving parts.

Back