1st Project - Klein Attitude

Stylus":91eqywzs said:
(repainting a Klein is a big no no).

Why is this bytheway? Never understood that....
With classic cars like a '70 Chevy Chevelle repainting seems no problem, why is this with old Klein bikes?
Who decided it is a big no no?

Oh, nice Attitude indeed!
Any progress on the rebuild/repaint?

I definalty cant see the problem with respraying them.. bringing them back to their glory!.. It would be such a shame to leave it in the condition its in now.

The progress so far is i have new STi shifters, a 1990 classis selle itaila flite saddle, and long seatpost and Mavic wheel all purchased.

I need to sort the stem bolt out, as it snapped need to either find someone who has a spare one or make one at work.

Waiting for Jon to spray the frame.

Will take a bit of time i think, but hopefully get building it in a couple of months.

Sparkzz":1852jlg3 said:
I definalty cant see the problem with respraying them.. bringing them back to their glory!.. It would be such a shame to leave it in the condition its in now.

The progress so far is i have new STi shifters, a 1990 classis selle itaila flite saddle, and long seatpost and Mavic wheel all purchased.

I need to sort the stem bolt out, as it snapped need to either find someone who has a spare one or make one at work.

Waiting for Jon to spray the frame.

Will take a bit of time i think, but hopefully get building it in a couple of months.

I know a guy who used to paint for Klein. I am going to forward Jon's portfolio and get his opinion. I am sure it will be the same as the rest of us.

**** A LITTLE UPDATE ****

Now stripping the bike to get ready to send to Jonrock for paint, and after discovering the stem bolt had snapped on the thread, i reckon due to the previous owner overtighting.

I have tried to source a new quill and bolt but to no luck, one company quoting me 4 pound per bolt but i had to order a hundred of them :(

The beutiful thing about owning a CNC machine shop was to get my employees to make one!! :LOL: :LOL:

So quill made, as the bolt snapped inside and I tired everything to remove it, and also under inspection the quill had a split in it.

So onto a CNC lathe followed by fixturing onto the CNC mill. Job done, now need to make the stem bolt, which will be on the machines this week.

Picture of the old quill:

Picture058a.jpg

New quill in place:

Picture062b.jpg

Old & new quill:

Picture064c.jpg

I also now have full XT groupset, and wheels built, all is waiting now for the paint and job done! cant wait :LOL: :LOL:

Next the Quill bolt is complete! Pictures along side with the original quill and bolt with the ones I made.

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Welded and ready for use!.. all i need to get to complete the bike is a decent seat clamp bolt.

I understand the love for Dolomite paint, it's iconic and obviously the first thing that springs to people's mind when they think retro KLEIN, I owned a Dolomite Attitude in 1993 and would have people stop me on the street to ask about it, I actually have a vague plan to pick up a cheap apres-TREK Attitude frame and throw a Dolomite paint job on it.

That being said, the black-on-black was a rare choice in the Krazy-Kolored days of the early 1990s and has a very subtle, stealthy look to it that has aged better than most KLEIN schemes. I'm sure Jon could do a perfect repro. of the all black paint, and you'd have something really special.

Just my 2 cents, it's your bike and it should be exactly as you want - have fun!

I do really like the black aswell but I also like the tired used pre restoration look too, probably due no doubt some reverse snobbery & jealousy of how some people always manage to make their bikes look so good. :oops:

The biggest update is complete!!! In about 2 hours time my driver will be getting back with a freshly painted frame, and judging by the pics It looks blooming amazing!.. The klein paint master has done his magic!! thanks Jon,

Omg, i cant wait, this week & weekend will be building, I am sure I have all the components to get it running, but will need the use of a few modern parts unitl I can replace them with Retro ones.

Heres the pics from Jon's website:

6760943_orig.jpg

1843395_orig.jpg
[/img]

Back