And today I did......

kaiser":1fh15eye said:
Very cool ZZ, build plans?
A few ideas kicking about - combination of cheap and (relatively) period-correct to begin with though... Swinging between lightweight XC and something a bit more burly - finances will no doubt dictate direction though.

No disk brakes, since I don't think the rear adapters are available from Mountain Cycles any more. If the headset's intact, try and swap my day-glo red JT Maggies for a set of blue ones, and go with some blue ano highlights. If the headset's not a go-er, then I may rasta it (gently, mind). XT and Kore like the original build should be do-able and not too spendy. I've got a set of basic black Mavic something or others kicking about, so that'll get me running, although a nice set of period American wheels / hubs would be nice (Bonty Race Lite maybe? nothing too boutiquey). Quite fancy a SID up front, although a Z1 might be more in keeping with the character of the bike. Long term, a White Brothers fork would be funky I suppose, but given my lack of mechanical ability/sympathy, I'm probably better sticking with something more mainstream.

Very open to thoughts and suggestions though!

Those RAC forks have shown up on the forum a few times recently and I think they would look the bawz. Go for a left of centre build :) green red and blue would be a nice colourscheme.

I picked up this...

Junk.jpg

I got it for the cranks and pedals (square Alivio (I like the shape) and Ti onza pedals) Bonus hack bits were a LX canti, DC V's a tri-dangle, forks that might fit miniKens bike and STX shifters which will replace mk's broken ones.

Any idea on what the frame is? It is steel and heavy but welding is neat and it has an ovalised bottom on the seat tube.

If anyone want's to rescue it I can bring it to GT but it is rusty - c-t 19 c-c 17.5 otherwise back to the dump it goes.

zigzag":x30s95n3 said:
kaiser":x30s95n3 said:
Very cool ZZ, build plans?
A few ideas kicking about - combination of cheap and (relatively) period-correct to begin with though... Swinging between lightweight XC and something a bit more burly - finances will no doubt dictate direction though.

No disk brakes, since I don't think the rear adapters are available from Mountain Cycles any more. If the headset's intact, try and swap my day-glo red JT Maggies for a set of blue ones, and go with some blue ano highlights. If the headset's not a go-er, then I may rasta it (gently, mind). XT and Kore like the original build should be do-able and not too spendy. I've got a set of basic black Mavic something or others kicking about, so that'll get me running, although a nice set of period American wheels / hubs would be nice (Bonty Race Lite maybe? nothing too boutiquey). Quite fancy a SID up front, although a Z1 might be more in keeping with the character of the bike. Long term, a White Brothers fork would be funky I suppose, but given my lack of mechanical ability/sympathy, I'm probably better sticking with something more mainstream.

Very open to thoughts and suggestions though!

No thoughts but love your plans, can't seem to muster any retro va va voom in the bike building stakes been looking but nothing is doing it foor me of late.

Two bikethings today, got a 45 min go on my bosses carbon fiber racer with new carbon durarace wheels and man does it shift compared to my gas pipe special, the wheels did start to make a low pitched rumble sound at high speed but i just put that down to the wind thru the spokes (or the strain of my lardy arse on it).

And got a ride out tonight on the voodoo, testing out my new shoes and getting it ready fir the shakedown at the tress, feels pretty good and loving the new rubber albeit I have just aquired some white racing ron tires which will look rather spiffing if they arrive on time :LOL:

clockworkgazz":1j8bj7hs said:
No thoughts but love your plans, can't seem to muster any retro va va voom in the bike building stakes been looking but nothing is doing it foor me of late.

Strip em and store them unless theres something you really want! Forget about building and concentrate on the riding. I get bored all the time but I'm quite flighty anyway, thats why I bounce between tri, road and mtbs. Just do summat else for a change!

Today I picked up the new Vengabus :D then we went a run to Largs and had dinner in Nardini's :D

Back