Just another 91 Xizang (updated pics pg.4)

In the interview will Bill Duehring he confirmed the Triple Triangle was indeed based on marketing as much as anything else.

Really nice build anyhow FMJ. Those cromo / ti xizangs are uber cool and the build is bang on. My only small gripe is I'd like to see more seatpost showing on the photos :)

John":3j07y6a9 said:
My only small gripe is I'd like to see more seatpost showing on the photos :)

I will need to see if these come in 9/16" :LOL:

IMG_8925p.jpg

I have made a few changes since the original build as some parts I wanted came available. The black rims on black 730 hubs w. skinwall Megabites were a must to me. Black SG rings, a GT All Tera badged saddle (put the GT badged one on my Avalanche), and a GT seat clamp from jamabikes finished things off. The new changes just make it pop, and look right. I may still run a shimmed XT post (hard to find 29.4 posts in 1991 flavour) if I can find one in VGC, and a pair of black 730 cranks (unicorn), but I'm not holding my breath on those.

Updated parts list:

Frame: 91 GT Xizang
Fork: GT 2x4
Headset: XT
Stem: GT flip flop
Handlebar: GT badged CroMo
Grips: AME GT
Brakes: 730 XT U II (r) 730 XT (f)
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia Compe/Joe's
Brake Levers: 730 XT
Shifters: 730 XT thumbies
Front Derailleur: 730 XT
Rear Derailleur: 730 XT
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: 730 XT HG
Chain: HG-70
Cranks: 730 XT
Chainrings: Shimano SG
Bottom Bracket: 730 XT
Pedals: Shimano 730 XT
Hub Skewers: 730 XT
Rims: Araya RM-17
Hubs: 730 XT
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Ritchey Megabite
Saddle: GT All Terra badged Viscount
Seatpost: Sakae TCO
Seatpost Binder: GT
Weight: as always, don't care

z12.jpg

Nice work, good luck finding some black m730s.

Another option for the seat post may be a Tioga Prestige one - as was fitted to the 91 Team Avalanche. You can still pick them up for reasonable money NOS - bit more of a GT link and jet black too.

merckx":2u2vkp17 said:
nice. can anyone shed light on the rationale GT might have had for putting the cro mo rear end on these? it seems like a really incongruous thing to do..

They were going after two retail price points and when the Xizang LE (full Ti) was introduced it was like $2200 retail and the Bi-metal was 500 less.

gm1230126":frhhamdp said:
merckx":frhhamdp said:
nice. can anyone shed light on the rationale GT might have had for putting the cro mo rear end on these? it seems like a really incongruous thing to do..

They were going after two retail price points and when the Xizang LE (full Ti) was introduced it was like $2200 retail and the Bi-metal was 500 less.

ah, i see! thanks!

great updtaes fmj bike looks perfect! no need to change anything! i think it actually looks best with the cranks you have, all black ones might be too much i reckon.

love the megabites. they really suit the bike well.

A few changes since the last post. Swapped to XT an seatpost (w. custom shim), XT headset, XT U-brake blocks to make it a full XT 730/2 group. Changed to some GT Duraluminum bars, and a GT All Terra badged/branded Viscount seat, replacing the GT branded Viscount that was on it to finish things off.

I'm still sitting on the fence about the black 730 cranks.

Xfin.jpg

Xseat.jpg

xbars.jpg

Back