Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

Pretty much slap bang in the middle of the figures so far :shock: Quite surprising as it isn’t (other than inner tubes) a weenie build :D

I will hold back the exact weight until it has been on the trustworthy scales though – as soon as it’s dry, daylight and I have a picture to prove what’s on it, no missing pedals, chains, all the odds n sods that don’t get included etc … :LOL:

WD :D

I'm going to kill a small puppy for every hour there isn't a finished photo on this thread........you wouldn't want that on your concience now would you?.......be reasonable!.....it will be your fault!......

I need daylight, dry weather and time at home - since the last build update the three haven’t coincided :( :LOL:

I only have the gear cables to fettle / adjust now :D (and the scales to get out of the loft :LOL: )

I'd guess at 23-24lb. My 1990 Palisades tourer weighs 25ish and has a Use seatpost, White Ind Cranks and Real BB but also mudguards, rack, drops and Maguras.
:?

It's finished ... :shock: :LOL:

I actually finished it last weekend but after a few spins around the estate I had a few tweaks / adjustments to do which were finished yesterday :D no final pics yet, I don't want to photograph it in the kitchen / bedroom / lounge etc :LOL: and it hasn't stopped raining yet :-(

Rode very well :cool: faster rolling than I remember (but I never had slicks on it) and better stopping than I remember to - after reading all the 'canti's are sh1t' statements I hear on here I thought I was perhaps remembering them with rose tinted specs and my extra three stone since last time around wasn't going to help :LOL: they are actually quite good though ... ;-)

My arse isn't happy about the flite either - needs wearing in I think :LOL:

Things that needed tweaking :

I swapped a canti bolt fixing nut over - my spanner had a burr on it that marked the hex so I polished up a spare and fitted that :D

Mech hanger : it was bent ! I can only think it was done when the bike was stored and I never noticed when I stripped it at the start of the rebuild :? Soon fixed with this though :

DSC06348.jpg

The mech didn't want to sit / tension right which took a while to suss - they have adjustment in the spring tension on the main and cage pivots, they need to be matched and the cage pivot was a hole out. I can't use the noodle though as the combination of short cage and my ratios gives to much mech movement and the short length of cable outer didn't have enough 'give' :-( but I have found a nice route that avoids cable rub :D

I swapped the angle of dangle screw over for a stainless grub screw that I have rounded the end on - I don't like how the standard one cuts / damages the finish on the dropout, so the standard one was never given the chance ;-)

DSC06343.jpg

I swapped the plain black seat QR ringle over for the black / polished one and used a washer that broardy made for me, after a bit of a polish (couldn't resist :LOL:) :

DSC06388.jpg

But as it added a extra 2mm I needed a 2mm longer (Which had to have the ends polished to match the wheel skewers :oops: :LOL:) :

DSC06390.jpg

Final job was to clean the braking surfaces. I expected the first few goes at braking to help but it didn't :-( the rims were slightly marked where the bare alloy was - can be clearly seen on here (white patches) :

DSC06331.jpg

But the rim cleaning block I bought for the ceramics for the airborne worked wonders :

DSC06355.jpg

DSC06362.jpg

They look like new now :cool:

WD Pro":311rylcb said:
Seven Marins, three of them Bear Valleys on the first page of readers bikes :shock:
I make it 8 Marin's ;) (well it is now anyway...)

So what's left to do on this build then WD Pro?

Back