Singlespeed Epiphany

IDB1":1bvzkiet said:
What numbers (of teeth) you using?

32/16. Middleburn Uno with a BMX freewheel on a modified Hope Ti screw-on hub. In an ideal world I'd run 39/19 as it's better to have odd-toothed rings - otherwise the teeth always do inner or outer chain links. I jump the chain a single tooth whenever I clean it to even the wear up.

I find that a bigger ratio makes a climbing a bit of a struggle, although if I was on the road all the time I'd want a bigger chainring.

Cool, thanks..

Been wondering about teeth count on the same/similar ratio (more for when I have my wheels built than now since I'll be using a freewheel rather than spacer kit)..

I lkie a 17t cog on the back. It's an uneven number, to even out the chain wear, and by using 32 or 36 t rings you can add/lose 6% from the 2:1 ratio 34 ring, which is just enough to fettle your ratio.
If you're looking for the "magic ratio" though, you need this;
http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php :D

Is magic ratio relevant on a SS specific frame?

Done so little riding since coming back to MTB and nothing of note on a SS (my frame should be back soon so I can redress that balance) that I'm still learning theories :?

I gave it a go and loved it ,only problem is it exacerbated a knee problem i think wouldn't have otherwise shown up for a few years,so i went back to gears on a 1x9 set up.
Fun and liberating for a while but not too good for knee joints in the long run :?

I can't be arsed with gears either. Or suspension. Or general maintenance. Too b****y lazy that's my problem :LOL:

Ride the bike, have fun, shove it in boot until next ride. Repeat.

I use 34:16 on a 29er (which raises the gear inches a bit compared to the same ratio on a 26er). Suits me on most stuff. The only times I've had to push, most of the guys I'm with on geared bikes are pushing too :LOL:

I'm keeping a 1 x ? about but from the brief time I've spent with a single gear, it'll do for me..

Back